• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ox Yoke Products Shut Down?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to my local gunshop today to get some Wonder Wads, and was told by the manager that Ox Yoke Products had shut down due to internal problems. I was able to purchase Bore Buttons, from T/C, but I always thought that T/C Bore Buttons were Ox Yoke Wonder Wads with T/C's brand on them. Has anyone else heard of this, and if so, any idea of the future of Ox Yoke Products?

Yes, heard about this from some other posts on this forum, also talk about it at Friendship last month during the shoot, but I have not spoke with anyone who knows exactly why their operations ceased.

I went to my local gunshop today to get some Wonder Wads, and was told by the manager that Ox Yoke Products had shut down due to internal problems. I was able to purchase Bore Buttons, from T/C, but I always thought that T/C Bore Buttons were Ox Yoke Wonder Wads with T/C's brand on them. Has anyone else heard of this, and if so, any idea of the future of Ox Yoke Products?

One of the owner's at October Country posted some information on another board when it first made news, and then when I called TC to lay in a supply of patches, they confirmed that Oxyoke made all the patches and wads prelubed with NL1000 that are sold in the industry, under the name Oxyoke, TC, Traditions, Remington, etc, etc.
Oxyoke also made the tubes of TC's Natural Lube 1000 and TC's #13 bore cleaner...they went on to say that a supplier should be up and running by the fall...I have enough wads for hunting, and bought some more patches just to be safe.

Below is a quote from Indiana Immigrant in a post Re: oxe-yoke [Re: SmokeyBeard55] #128782 - 06/13/05 04:22 PM

I contacted Track of The Wolf about Ox-Yoke,and they said that a fire destroyed their factory,inventory,and machinery,many months ago.Litagation with their insurance company has delayed reconstrution,and a "White Knight" buyer is considering buying it to infuse it with cash to help it rapidly[url] rebuild.In[/url] the meantime they said that shipments continue but at a slower pace,and they have a fair supply of most items.They said that it might be wise to order accordingly and plan for spot shortages for the next year or two.
I assume that TOW would have the right story on this since they sell so much of their product.I always like to check with a informed source before jumping to conclusions.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is a quote from Indiana Immigrant in a post Re: oxe-yoke [Re: SmokeyBeard55] #128782 - 06/13/05 04:22 PM

I contacted Track of The Wolf about Ox-Yoke,and they said that a fire destroyed their factory,inventory,and machinery,many months ago.Litagation with their insurance company has delayed reconstrution,and a "White Knight" buyer is considering buying it to infuse it with cash to help it rapidly[url] rebuild.In[/url] the meantime they said that shipments continue but at a slower pace,and they have a fair supply of most items.They said that it might be wise to order accordingly and plan for spot shortages for the next year or two.
I assume that TOW would have the right story on this since they sell so much of their product.I always like to check with a informed source before jumping to conclusions.

Dave

I also saw that post Dave, and to be honest, I still can't get comfortable with how a major ML supplier like Oxyoke could have had a fire like that and it not be 'news' immediatey throughout the industry and forum like this. Oxyoke shut down it's web site, everything...ordinarily, a company has some sort of PR mechanism plugged in within days to keep the customers aware.

When TC had their big plant fire, it was known everywhere immediately...same when a Goex plant lost a building to a fire...just seems strange to be hearing that it was a fire this long after the fact...and October Country and TC seemed unclear about what had happened...certainly didn't mention a fire...dunno
::

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't suprise me that a small company having a fire did not make major news.
With a large gunmaker like Thompson Center or a company like Goex that makes "dangerous" stuff like black powder burning or blowing up, that's considered national news.

No one nationally (except folks like us) would be interested in reading:

"LOCAL COMPANY THAT MAKES SHOOTING SUPPLIES CATCHES FIRE.
A local Company caught fire fire last nite and burned to the ground. The firechief said putting out the 4000 gallon tub of olive oil and "good smellum" was the toughest part of the job. "We had to throw in 300 heads of fresh lettuce to douse the flames. Would anyone here like some wilted lettus salad?"

Oh well, we still have Stumpkillers not so secret formulas for making our own patch lube and bore butter.

Be ready for more startling news stories.

LOCAL USED CLOTHS STORES SAY THERE IS A RUN ON HATS!
The local Good Will and Salvation Army Stores say there has been a unusual demand for old felt hats. Anyone wanting to donate their old cowboy hat to either of these stores please do so.

WAL-MART IS RUNNING LOW ON MATERIAL THINGS!!
The local Wal-Mart is having trouble keeping their Pillow Ticking in stock. The Blue and White material is gone and the Red and White is rapidly being bought up as well.
For unknown reasons, there has recently been a great demand for this material. Other types of material are still languishing on the shelves without significient changes in their popularity.
The Manager says he has ordered 10 more bolts of material but does not know when the material will be delivered. He said the demand appears to be nation wide and the Wal-Mart warehouses are having trouble securing additional stock.

LOCAL HARDWARE STORE HAS A RUN ON HOLE SAWS
The little known tool called a "hole saw" is rapidly becoming hard to find. The saws are circular cups with teeth and an arbor protruding from the rear. They are used to cut large holes in wood.
No one knows why these saws have become so popular lately.
The people who are buying these saws are noteworthy in that many of them are dressed in out of date clothing styles dating from the 18th and 19th century.
Several of these people had the distinct smell of burned Sulfur. When asked about this odor one gentleman said "I have not eaten Chili and Eggs in at least a month! At least not at the same time."
When the Hardware Store Manager asked if the customer wanted to buy a spade drill to drill the hole with, the customer said "What? and have the material grab my arm and wind it around the chuck?" No further explination was given.
These people seem to have a strange desire to buy grinding wheels as well.

If anyone knows the purpose these people are putting these hole saws to, this reporter would like to know.

CASTOR OIL HITS A NEW HIGH
With the price of oil rising to over $50 a barrel some experts are still at a loss to explain why the price of Castor Oil has risen to over $4.00 for an 8 ounce bottle.
The local Drug stores are having a demand increase which they cannot explain, but the demand has caused the price to skyrocket within the last week.
One druggest suggested that the oils use as a laxative was most likely the reason. "Some of these people smell like they could use it." the druggest said.

LOCAL HIVES RAIDED!!
Bees Wax seemed to be the object of the recent raiding of the bee hives at Sy's Honey Farm last week.
"They came after dark and stole the honeycombs out of over 25 hives! I'm not sure why, but they then proceeded to back over the combs with a large pickup truck leaving the honey all over the road. They only took the wax!
It looks like I'm out of beesness." said Sy.
If anyone sees a pickup with honey and bee parts glued up under the fenders, would you please notify the local Sheriffs department?
:: :: :crackup: :: ::

:crackup: :crackup:...you missed yer callin Zonie!!

But actually, this is what I said:

"...how a major ML supplier like Oxyoke could have had a fire like that and it not be 'news' immediatey throughout the industry and forums like this..."

(Not national headline news)

But your example national newsclips were good ones !
:redthumb:

I stocked up on OX-YOKE shooting patches while I was down to Friendship just in case.I didn't ask TOW where they got their information,just assumed they would know since they are one of their suppliers.I'm wondering if it would do any good to ask them?

Zonie - dude I have come to the opinion that you have entirely too much time on your hands!

Anyway - about the Ox-Yoke situation - I found the following news article on a Lexus-Nexus search - it doesn't say anything about a fire - just that they are shutting down operations:

"Copyright 2005 States News Service
States News Service

May 2, 2005 Monday

LENGTH: 222 words

HEADLINE: SENATORS SNOWE, COLLINS EXPRESS CONCERN FOR OX-YOKE DISPLACED WORKERS

BYLINE: States News Service

DATELINE: WASHINGTON

BODY:
The following information was released by the Office of Maine Senator Olympia J. Snowe:

Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins today announced the formation of a new Piscataquis County Transition Team to assist workers who are expected to be laid off from the the Ox-Yoke Originals factory in Milo. The gun care and shooting accessories company announced yesterday that it is shutting down operations in Milo, resulting in a loss of jobs for 25 full time employees and a number of part time workers, according to the Piscataquis County Economic Development Corporation. It always concerns us when workers lose their jobs through no fault of their own. This closing not only affects the employees of Ox-Yoke and their families, but the entire Milo community. We will do everything possible to assist the workers during this uncertain time.
The Piscataquis County Transition Team will be modeled after other successful efforts the Senators have spearheaded in communities across Maine in order to help displaced workers access available programs for job retraining, education, job search and relocation, and re-employment services, as well as other community-based services. The Senators will also support any effort by the company to obtain federal emergency funds to provide workers with Trade Adjustment Assistance.

LOAD-DATE: May 3, 2005"

O.K. - did a little more digging and fournd this article - it does mention a fire and insurance problems:

"Copyright 2005 Bangor Daily News
Bangor Daily News (Maine)

May 7, 2005 Saturday
All Editions

SECTION: Pg. B1

LENGTH: 360 words

HEADLINE: Milo gun care business closes temporarily

BYLINE: DIANA BOWLEY OF THE NEWS STAFF

DATELINE: MILO

BODY:

A gun care and shooting accessory business that has operated for 17 years has closed its doors for at least two weeks because of financial problems.

"We're in trouble financially," Ted Bottomley of Brownville, OxYoke Originals founder and president, confirmed Wednesday.

"At the moment, we have a two-week shutdown until May 16," Bottomley said. He said he anticipated that the company would reopen at that point, either under his ownership or someone else's.

"We're making every effort to keep it open [and in Milo]," Bottomley said of the business which employs 24 people. He said the company is for sale and there are two interested buyers.

A series of catastrophes are behind the financial woes, according to Bottomley. The company suffered great losses during the 1998 ice storm, which caused the collapse of one building and the removal of a large brick chimney, he said.

Later, two fires, one of which demolished the company's machine shop, caused even further damage. The company was unable to recoup about $1.75 million in losses which were not covered by insurance, he said.

It took more than two years to settle the insurance claim for the fire that destroyed the machine shop, Bottomley explained. He said he had to hire a private insurance adjuster to help with the process, but still settled the case at a loss out of frustration.

Bottomley, who started OxYoke Originals in 1970 in Connecticut, said the company was further taken aback when its largest customer, who supplied Wal-Mart stores, stopped ordering in 2003 because of a warehouse backlog problem at Wal-Mart.

"It's been a struggle for us," Bottomley said.

Although the company now has about $1 million in back orders, Bottomley said he can't get the cash to get the company's supply chain up and running. His company has a lot of proprietary products that cannot be sold elsewhere, he said.

Whatever happens to the company, Bottomley wants to make sure his employees are protected. They are a "class act, they're hard-working and willing workers," he said.

"We're very concerned about finding someone who will buy the company and keep it here" so the employees can continue working, Bottomley said.

LOAD-DATE: May 9, 2005"

Interesting stuff JR...that would make the shop fire was at least 2 years ago if it took 2 years to get some settlement, and actually it could have been many years ago...sounds like a series of things have piled on to that event that have contributed to the current dilemma...hopefully as TC mentioned, something is in the works to get the products moving again in the near future.

What is a Lexus/Nexus search...is that a search engine similar to Google?

No - Lexus/Nexus is a subscriber database - it is very expensive. Usually news organizations, universities, some government entities and corporations are the only ones who can afford access for research purposes. Some libraries have terminals where users can get access. It is a fantastic research tool for current events and court opinions which are published in full text. I have access through Univ. of Louisville right now as I am finishing up a degree program through them on-line.

J.R's information pretty much is the same that TOW gave me,without as much detail.I hope for everyone's sake that they will be able to make a comeback.

J.R's information pretty much is the same that TOW gave me,without as much detail.I hope for everyone's sake that they will be able to make a comeback.

:agree:...and the Oxyoke name has been around about as long as TC...on that note, with Oxyoke being located right up there next to TC, I wonder if TC is looking into a possible buyout...particularly since TC markets so many of Oxyoke's products under the TC label.

Our Dealer in Wyoming told me yesterday that Oxyoke
had filed a Chapter 11. He also said that in talking
with them(Oxyoke) that Traditions may take them over.

Redwing :redthumb:

:m2c:

I did another search, expanded the time parameters and came up with some older stories about the Ox-Yoke Co. I didn't find anything in Maine's legals on a Chapter 11 filing - not to say that hasn't happened, it may just not yet been posted.

Copyright 2001 Bangor Daily News

May 3, 2001 Thursday, FOURTH EDITION

SECTION: B; Pg. 3

LENGTH: 210 words

HEADLINE: Fire strikes;
Milo firm second time

BODY:
Investigators were on the scene of an early morning fire Wednesday at the Ox-Yoke Originals company, the same business hit by a fire last July that has gone unsolved.

Firefighters were called out about 3:20 a.m. to the three-story West Main Street business where fire had broken out in the machine shop, reported Milo Fire Chief Dave Preble.

It took Milo firefighters, with help from Dover-Foxcroft and Brownville, about three hours to put out the flames that had spread from the first floor to the second. Firefighters remained on the scene throughout the day, mopping up and aiding in the investigation.

Preble said putting out the fire proved difficult as the building had extensive renovations, including ceilings that had been dropped from 12 feet to 8, making the fire harder to reach. Most of what was damaged was computerized equipment on the first floor of the company that makes gun cleaning products. The heaviest damage was on the first floor although some fire, smoke and water damage was noted on the second floor.

An investigator from the State Fire Marshal's Office was on hand Wednesday to look for a cause for the fire.

A state investigator was called to a similar fire on July 23, 2000, which also damaged computerized equipment.

LOAD-DATE: August 6, 2001

Copyright 2001 Bangor Daily News

January 25, 2001 Thursday, SECOND EDITION

SECTION: B; Pg. 3

LENGTH: 77 words

HEADLINE: Police investigate theft at Milo business

BODY:
The theft of tools, machine parts and gun-cleaning materials from Ox Yoke Originals is under investigation by the Milo Police Department.

Police Chief Todd Lyford said Wednesday the theft appears to be a continuing problem and may involve an employee. He said plant officials have noticed that some items have disappeared during recent weeks.

An inventory is being conducted to determine the amount of the loss, which could be significant, Lyford said.

LOAD-DATE: August 6, 2001

Copyright 2000 Bangor Daily News

July 24, 2000 Monday

LENGTH: 319 words

HEADLINE: Fire damages Milo gun products firm
Investigators say cause of blaze at Ox-Yoke Originals not believed suspicious

BYLINE: Diana Bowley Of the NEWS Staff

BODY:
MILO -- Fire marshals worked throughout Sunday afternoon trying
to determine the cause of a fire that damaged Ox-Yoke Originals, a
manufacturer of gun-cleaningproducts and black-powder shooting
accessories.

The investigators will continue their investigation today,
although they do not believe the fire's cause was suspicious,
according to Milo Fire Chief Dave Preble.

The fire, reported at about 5:45 a.m. by railroad workers
passing though Milo on a train, was quickly contained by
firefighters from Milo, Guilford, Dover-Foxcroft, Sebec and
Brownville.

Preble said the fire was difficult to fight at first because
the whole building was showing smoke when firefighters arrived. He
said firefighters used thermal-imaging camera to find the fire in a
crawl space between the basement and first floor.

Much of the computerized equipment in the machine shop inside
the building was damaged by fire and water, Preble said.

Scott Lee, vice president of Ox-Yoke Originals, could not
provide an estimate of damage Sunday, but said the business would
be open as usual today. He said some of the 80 employees will be
assigned cleanup duties while others will work to fulfill a rush
order placed by Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," Lee said as he surveyed
the fire scene Sunday.

This is a busy time of year for the company, which ships its
products worldwide, he said.

Lee said the 39,000-square-foot building is insured. Most of
the fire and smoke damage occurred inside the building. Two broken
windows appeared to be the only outward damage on the front of the
building Sunday.

There was never any threat of explosion in the building during
the fire because the company used virtually "all natural products,"
Lee said.

New plumbing and electrical wiring had been installed in the
building when the company bought it in 1987, he said.

GRAPHIC: Firefighters remove hoses from Ox-Yoke Originals in downtown Milo on Sunday morning. (NEWS Photo by Susan Latham)

LOAD-DATE: July 24, 2000

Never mind the nay sayers Zonie. It's a lot cleaner than what passes for comedy on TV these days. Funnier too. :hatsoff: :thanks:

NEWS FLASH!!

A little thought of product in the local Pharmacys is being sought by males across the United States.
Ben Dover, a spokesman for The American Pharmaceutical Society reports that the Society is curious about the great increase in Witch Hazel sales.
"No one knows what these men could be using it for. They reportedly are using it to make a sort of "home brew" of some kind but we don't know the purpose of this effort."

Ben goes on to caution men who use Witch Hazel.

"Men should be especially cautious when using this fluid. It is an astringent. The A.P.S. warns men who have handled this fluid to take special care to wash their hands prior to urinating.
Astringents will shrink soft tissue on contact."

Another NEWS FLASH!!!.

Following a peacefull and non violent daylight hyjacking of a container lorry (which the driver had left the keys in the cab and gone for a bacon sarnie). The police have said they are looking for a gang calling themselves "muzzle loaders".
A police spokesperson said, "it seem that this gang have been unable to shoot for many months due to a lack of a material they call WADDING".
The truck contained several tons of feminine hygiene products including toilet paper.

The police spokesperson said they have nothing to go on. :crackup:

Back