• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ouch! That never happened before.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhombre

36 Cl.
Reaction score
In the 40 years I've been shooting ML's Never had this happen. At the range the other day, Bang goes rifle and a piece of the CCI Percussion cap fly's off and lands on the meaty part of my left supporting hand and wedges down in there between the meat and gun. Darn was that hot! Not wanting to drop the rifle I endured the pain until the gun was shifted to a place where I could let go. I was wearing safety glasses although they were of no help.

Have experienced that, it is not fun!

On a weird side note I am carrying a scar from a box of fried chicken from Safeway Deli. I had it on my forearm under some other stuff and it started getting warm then hot....but hey! I'm a man....not gonna stop in line and reposition two arms of stuff for a box o chicken! I will next time. Wife said 3rd degree, but Ima man, i dont go past light 2nd degree.

BTW I now shoot in long sleeves. AND shooting glasses, YA it can happen to me.

Hot, ain't they? (and sharp). Our m/L league fired offhand at 60 yards, sometimes standing side by side. Cap shrapnel happened from time-to-time from others' guns. My worst ones were the Hopkins & Allen underhammers when wearing short-sleeved shirts. Eye protection isn't sissy, it's smart.

Yeah,, been/there done that.
I mentioned that a short time ago in a thread about a stuck caps issue.
In that one, the Gent was allowing 4-5 stuck caps to remain in the hammer cup, he figures it's not a problem because the gun still has reliable ignition.

I know a guy that caught a piece of cap shrapnel across his right cheek. It made a nice slice about an inch and a half long.
He carried that scar for a couple years before it faded,,

I was wearing safety glasses although they were of no help.
I don't understand this statement.
After the experience of finding out what that feels like on regular flesh, I would think you would be very cognizant of how bad it would be if that piece hit an unprotected eyeball.
I have a scar on my hand from bullet jacket material that was inbedded in a 2x4 target stand. Did eye protection help, no, but, getting that wound drives home why we need eye protection when shooting or in the presence of people shooting. If that little piece of jacket material, with almost no mass, was able to imbed in a 2x4 securely enough to slice my hand like a shank, what would it do if it hit someone's eye.

Caps were made to split and fall in the beginning. After firing the routine
was to twist the revolver sideways and up slightly as you cock letting
the split cap fall away. It still works-some of the time. The guy at the
side with the revolving carbine might be feeling the Gap blast from the
barrel-cylinder gap. This is often unnoticed unless you are exactly in line
with the exploding gas & powder.

I don't understand this statement.
After the experience of finding out what that feels like on regular flesh, I would think you would be very cognizant of how bad it would be if that piece hit an unprotected eyeball.
I have a scar on my hand from bullet jacket material that was inbedded in a 2x4 target stand. Did eye protection help, no, but, getting that wound drives home why we need eye protection when shooting or in the presence of people shooting. If that little piece of jacket material, with almost no mass, was able to imbed in a 2x4 securely enough to slice my hand like a shank, what would it do if it hit someone's eye.
Brokennock,
50 years ago my journeyman boss caught me not wearing safety glasses whilst pouring lead. He pulled me away and told me to close my eyes. After doing so I naturally asked why. He replied by asking what did I see . The "nothing "reply brought his lesson home. " That's What A Blind Man See's"
John

Brokennock,
50 years ago my journeyman boss caught me not wearing safety glasses whilst pouring lead. He pulled me away and told me to close my eyes. After doing so I naturally asked why. He replied by asking what did I see . The "nothing "reply brought his lesson home. " That's What A Blind Man See's"
John
He was a smart boss :thumb: Got his point across with tact. I worked in the construction industry and know of more injuries to the eyes than I want to know. Two went blind in a single eye, and another had severe burns.
Larry

At age 42 or there abouts I started needing cheaters to read or do close work. As the company required safety glasses they paid the freight for bifocals in their safety glasses. Wore them all the time, as it was just easier, as time went on prescriptions were needed for distance also. Point is if there was an up side to needing prescription lenses they are always on ones face. Wish now they had been just as strict on hearing protection, they weren’t.

See a lot of folks on the firing line not wearing eye protection. It’s a rule at my gun club but basically unenforceable as there’s no range officer.

My .36 under hammer is the one that usually gets me… So I wear long sleeves.👍

While I was firing the required 50 rounds here in Tn to qualify for my CCP.. The girl on the line next too me was using a semi auto.22…

One of her spent rounds landed in my shirt collar and stuck to my neck….😡
Yes, it was HOT! 🥴

My .36 under hammer is the one that usually gets me… So I wear long sleeves.👍

While I was firing the required 50 rounds here in Tn to qualify for my CCP.. The girl on the line next too me was using a semi auto.22…

One of her spent rounds landed in my shirt collar and stuck to my neck….😡
Yes, it was HOT! 🥴
Imagine if you were a girl !

I shoot the more modern hand guns also. A 45ACP case struck my forehead and lodged between my eyebrow and eye glass frame. Left a mark. This particular auto will bounce a shell off the forehead once in every hundred rounds or so.

I believe this is the reason CCI changed the musket cap formulation because of cap fragments during re-enactments. Lawsuit???? The new ones are pityfull.

As a Welder Fabricator all my life I have more Burns on my body than I can count and I feel your pain ,been there with copper shrapnel from a hot cap. Ouches Right. LOL…😫

Sgt. Major got shot on an indoor range when a spent .22 case flew down the neck of the shooter's shirt. Cadet shooting reached over his shoulder with his gun hand, pistol went off. Sgt. Major caught the bullet in his upper chest.

Over the years, I learned my original M/L's are worse about blowback/"Cap Shrap" than modern ones. Hammers get eroded, nipple holes enlarged, threads stripped, and springs weakened. A too-short nipple can also "get you" when the hammer doesn't remain down with enough force to keep the spent cap secured beneath it.

When a nipple blows out b/c of stripped/improper threads/not screwed in, "cap shrap" is the least of your worries.

While you may be meticulous about all things, the shooter next to you may not be. Taught LE firearms for 28 years. No matter what, someone will make a safety error. If you see something ....say something.

"All the pheasants born and bred won't make up for one man dead".

Back