• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Cyten I still await your barrel length need of the W' nut though if its very long you can allways scarf ie join two sections as they did I have the California address some where still .
Regards Rudyard
I thought I had sent it already, but just did again, thank you!

Here is the only picture of a short Tanchica I've found to date, could be the same as Rick's!

View attachment 254924

A photo of an Albanian man with a Tanchica from 1908 by the adventurer Edith Durham who traveled Albania extensively by herself.
View attachment 254925

Honest example of a Shishane in Bulgaria
View attachment 254930
View attachment 254931

Bulgarian restoration
View attachment 254932

Ottoman Gendarmerie in 1900, Shishane serving alongside Peabody-Martinis!
View attachment 254933

Kurdish Gendarmerie in 1895
View attachment 254934

A very interesting page from a 17th century document on Chinese firearms describing a "Lu Mi Chong" or "嚕密銃" which is a Turkish Matchlock that was tested and ultimately adopted in a slightly modified form by the Chinese.

Zhao_Shi_Zhen_Matchlock_Comparison.jpg
Very interesting pictures. Did you noticed, the Gendarme at right of Center, cut the buttstock of his Martni-Henry to resemble a Shishane?

Hi Wulf !!!! Great to hear from you again. Are you talking about the third gun - from the right ? By the way, I still have photos of your stuff in my library if you want me to post anything.

Cyten: If you are looking for a new stock blank, try to find one about 3 inches thick. You'll notice the rear of the butt stocks taper wider to at least 2 1/2" Tough to find wood that thick. That rear butt section I added started with a short, 8" long piece of European walnut that was 3 1/2" thick. Got it from Wayne Dunlap. He didn't have any stock that thick, so he glued two pieces together. Worked fine for just a rear section piece. You might measure the thickness of your original stock.

Rick

No, I did not make any of those guns. But I did make a lock similar to the third from the right....mine was/is a little more fancy. I had that
lock sitting on my book case till I decided to make an Algerian Miquelet using it..... not a good choice....didn't spark well. I wish I coulld
send you a picture but that is something I neve mastered.....sorry,,,,unless........That's great..... Then see the Miquelet lock I am making and
the wheel lock already made.....

Attachments

• IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    901.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    859.8 KB · Views: 0
This one has a rear sight too. Being a solid part of the barrel breech would make it very rugged.
Hi Sam

Sometimes the rear sights (pistols or shoulder guns) were forged on with the breech of the barrel as you mention. Other times the rear sight is forged as part of the breech plug. I've seen it both ways. Note the grip on this pistol is styled after many early Spanish pistols.

Rick

Nice!! I like the barrel band, almost looks like a human face. I read where Christian gunsmiths would place a subtle face on the gun of a Muslim customer, because it was against the religion to portray any living being in art. I don’t know if this is true or not.

Hi Cyten

WOW!!! That is interesting. First I've seen. And that Boyliya is in incredible condition. What a prize.

Hi Sam

I'm not sure either. I do know the Greeks were fond of adding a simple engraving of a human face near the breech of their barrels. And they would often make their triggers in the shape of a human.

Rick

Nice!! I like the barrel band, almost looks like a human face. I read where Christian gunsmiths would place a subtle face on the gun of a Muslim customer, because it was against the religion to portray any living being in art. I don’t know if this is true or not.
You can’t show Muhammad, but there are ottoman portraits of Suleiman the Magnificent from while he was alive, so I assume in this period it was fine to have faces of living people.
IMG_9813.jpeg

Interestingly, Charles V’s BFF, Titian, made a portrait of his greatest enemy, Suleiman
IMG_9814.jpeg

You can’t show Muhammad, but there are ottoman portraits of Suleiman the Magnificent from while he was alive, so I assume in this period it was fine to have faces of living people.
View attachment 266021

Interestingly, Charles V’s BFF, Titian, made a portrait of his greatest enemy, Suleiman
View attachment 266022
Bit of a digression from the thread topic, but to my understanding, even back then the matter was a point of contention. More pious movements were against essentially all drawing in general, but those seem to have been seen as outliers and not very well regarded in classical Ottoman society. Still, you can find some miniature manuscripts where someone's scribbled out all the faces with a pen, or just smeared off the ink by spitting on the figures and then rubbing them away.

Back