• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oryx hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This Oryx cow was hunted in the Kalahari Desert last year, as you can see in the picture they had had a record year with rain, and the animals were in very good condition.

This oryx took a shot in the neck at 121m, 385gr Bushveld Conical, 80gr of Wano FFg, and 1:48 Ardesa/Traditions Ranger.

Traveler_Gemsbok.jpg

She weighed in at about 250lbs. Her horns are respectively 38,5inches and 39,75inches.

A very proud moment, and the first oryx that I had hunted. :)

Heinrich, believe it or not, we have those here in New Mexico. They were imported from Africa about 30 years ago. My Dad has taken two and many of my friends have taken them also.
The one thing I hear over and over is how difficult it is to kill one, and these guys were using high power rifles. With that in mind, I must say that you should be very proud of your one shot ML kill. That's the way to do it. Congratulations. Bill
P.S. Oryx is the best wild meat I have ever tasted.

Snowdragon,

I've noticed ranches in Arizona offering them as well...

The thing with Oryx is that they can handle extreme heat and stress, therefore any shot less that is marginal is going to end up in a very long follow-up. Even with a neck shot, this one did not die on the spot, and those horns are deadly, I know at least one hunter with a scar thanks to Oryx... :winking:

They have huge lungs and hearts, and even with a shot through the top of the heart, you will have some walking before you find your animal.

On your point of the quality of the meat, it is very high quality, and you get excellent steak from them, and something that it little different to most antelope from Africa, during good times, you might even get some fat on the meat.

I rank Oryx as second, only to Eland when looking at the large antelope. Springbuck is my personal favourite.

Congrats to this nice oryx cow.Do you use hp conicals or massive ones?

Greetings from GE.

Yip, solid lead ones with nice large flat meplats.

They have hollow bases as well.

What a beautiful anamal. Its looks like it would weight more than 250lbs.
From your other posts it looks like none of the meat gos to waste.
:winking: Rocky

One more question, can you tell a buck or ram from a doe or ewe before you shoot them.
Deer are called buck and doe? Elk are Bull and cow? Sheep are ram and ewe? Hope you understand my question.
:winking: Rocky

I guess it is similar to the seperation of buck and doe by chamoise. both have horns, but the does are smaller and not so tough.

Rocky, the sizes and build of the bulls and cows are much the same. The only real diffs between them is the cows usually have longer thinner horns whereas the bulls have very thick horns in relation to the cows. The only real way to be certain with this species is really only by the genitalia.

Kudus and impala for instance is much easier to distinguish the sex over a distance, as is most other african game. Only the males have horns and sometimes the sexes even differ in colour.

Heinrich: Very fine gemsbok. I will be in Namibia next month after one myself, although with a 9.3 Czech Mauser. I hear they are wonderful eating. You must be very proud to have taken yours with a muzzleloader.

With antelope, we distinguish between, Rams, and Ewes, then Bulls, and cows.

The line of distinction is the Nyala, the male of a Nyala is Bull, and the female is Ewe, odd, isn't it??

Larger animals both have bull and cow, and smaller antelopes are rams and ewes.

That cow was 330pounds in weight.

With oryx, when you see them regularly enough it is not to diffcult to see the difference. The Bulls have thick horns, and they are worn by all the fighting, the cows have very slender and long horns. In body size, there is not that much between the males in females with Oryx.

Titus also answered the question very good.

With many antelope, the females make much better meat for eating. I hunt primary for eating.

AWESOME :grin: :grin: All the luck with your hunt, I'm certain that you are going to have a great time hunting in Africa. Hunting in the oldest desert in the world is magic, that being the Namib Desert.

You are using an excellent caliber for your hunting. My Nitro gun is a 9,3x64 Brenneke. When I read 9,3 I smile. When you have any questions regarding your hunt, you know where to get some advice... :thumbsup:

Back