• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting in the rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sleet, snow, hail, heat, i can take.
spent ten loooooooooooong years working in the rain day and night in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. don't dislike many things. wet and cold is one i do.
besides i have a siamese twin attached to me at the hip, knees, shoulders and hands. his name is Aurthur's right azz. and he really don't like wet, cold, damp.

Last edited:
I often wondered what it was like in the middle of a big battle when it started to rain during the American Revolution. ( FIX BAYONETS)
Absolutely horrible conditions during a firefight...just ask George Washington at the battle of Fort Necessity!

I hunted it the down pours for a few days no worries didn't even change my pan power at the end of five days...I shot it off on my way out of the woods No problem, no hang fire just went boom. Cleaned it up and reload for tomorrow.

I hate hunting in rain; I mean really and truly hate it. I never had much luck in rainy weather but foggy and misty conditions were quite okay and deer moved as usual. If I know it's raining before hand I would simply stay in bed. Mild snow might be okay but most of my hunting was in Georgia so snow wasn't even a possibility.

But even worse than rain is wind. Normal breezes I can tolerate. But when it comes to serious wind I stay inside. Wind easily made me sick and my very worst sinus infection occurred when a hunting buddy and I simply couldn't take it any longer and headed home. Wind is also annoying at any level. I always primed with 4F and never had problems be it downpours or mist. Now moving on to priming rifles.

There have been instances where I had plenty of time to see a deer and then prime the pan, but! I always primed or had already primed when I got to my stand because only a few seconds would have cost me a deer in most cases. The last deer I killed came running by my stand and if I'd had to prime up to shoot it I'd have never made it. This is what happened in over half my deer kills.

One instance stands out. I was primed and ready in my ground stand when a gorgeous buck stepped into the open not 25 yards away and stood still broadside to me. I took aim and was greeted by a "clack"! Somehow the frizzen had been flipped open by thick vegetation as I crept to my stand in the darkness allowing the prime to pour out. I quickly primed with my springy-thingy and just as I start to raise the rifle once again the buck took off. So to be as safe as I can be I prime at the truck, put the cock on halfcock and cover the frizzen with a leather "hammer stall" always attached to my rifle. All I can say is that is the way I had to do it back in the day.

I guess I never followed up on this. Did end up going out and saw some deer, but not the buck I was after. I sat under a tree to provide relief from the rain and kept a cows knee on my lock. Replaced my primer charge every trip to the woods and did not have any fouling issues. I did end up taking one of the bucks I was after this last Wednesday with my bow, though.

Back