• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hunting in the rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get out there and get a big one, most of the bigger deer I have killed was in nasty weather they will lay down until pretty wet get up shake like a dog and walk around. As to keeping the gun in ready status a good cows knee well greased, with the gun tucked under your arm or coat works for me, I am not a stalker, find a place sit down stay as dry as possible and wait on bambi to stroll bye. You can put a bees wax seal around the pan and frizzen but I never found this necessary, the other thing is check the prime often and if needed wipe out the pan with a dry piece of cloth and re-prime. Good Luck.
This is the only time that I have been able to sneak up on deer and kill them. I have seen nice bucks, and does in bad weather! I would use a cap lock if I had a choice.

Here in the Pacific Northwet, hunting season is nothing put rain.
I always crayon the pan and frizzen to seal it tight.
Also turn my tricorn around. They way the water does not wash the pan clean.

Back