• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Origional Whitworth Rifle Sold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
At a recent Militaria Auction here in New Zealand, an origional Whitworth rifle was sold for $4600 US . These rifles were used by the British army here in New Zealand in the 1840's .
This is the catalogue description and is all I know about the rifle .
.45 caliber Whitworth Muzzle Loading Percussion Rifle .
33" barrel marked "Whitworth Patent " and British proof 52 52 C303 .
Ladder rear sight .
Lock marked " Wheatsheath Crown W Whitworth"
Front barrel band with bayonet lug .
Good walnut stock ,Light age bruising .
Marked "F ↑ 30 32" .
Steel Butt plate .
Leather Sling .
Ramrod .
Action Strong.
Overall length 49¼" . SN 8 ,
Very Good Working Order and Condition .
PS I believe these rifles were from the same batch that the Confederate's purchased in the War Between the States .
1698972040384.png

That's a beauty !! Would have likely brought even more here in the States, especially in that condition. WOW. By the way, the brokers here in the States are getting 23%+.

Rick

At a recent Militaria Auction here in New Zealand, an origional Whitworth rifle was sold for $4600 US . These rifles were used by the British army here in New Zealand in the 1840's .
This is the catalogue description and is all I know about the rifle .
. . .
PS I believe these rifles were from the same batch that the Confederate's purchased in the War Between the States .
Thanks for sharing this. The Whitworth Research Project database (originated by the late W.S. Curtis) has a record of this rifle, but no picture - so nice to be able to update the records. Maybe a typo - but 1840's is way too early for Whitworth. He didn't commence work on rifles until the mid-1850s and only really started into the commercial market around 1860. This rifle dates from late 1861.

Although similar to the Confederate purchase rifles, those exported to the US differ in not having a bayonet fitting. Several of these 'commercial pattern military rifles' with bar-on-band bayonet fitting have turned up in New Zealand.

David

Latest posts

Back