• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Colt Percussion Revolver ID?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This belonged to my stepmother's father and no one in the family even knew he had it until after his death a couple years ago. My stepmother is not interested in selling it, but would like to know what model it is, possible age, and we are also looking for a recommendation on where to go for an honest appraisal so that it can be insured and the estate can be settled with her sisters.

I shoot flintlock and percussion rifles, but know zero about revolvers so thank you very much for any help.

FYI--the barrel is approx. 4" and the oal is approx. 9". It appears to be .31 or .32 cal...? All the #'s match and the grip frame looks to be brass. The lock work and mechanism still work--the hammer cocks and the cylinder rotates and locks up and the trigger releases the hammer-- but the nipples and chambers are pretty corroded. Thanks again--
IMGP0687.jpg

IMGP0695.jpg

IMGP0694.jpg

IMGP0696.jpg

IMGP0698.jpg

IMGP0701.jpg

IMGP0701-1.jpg

It's a Colt Model 1849 Pocket Revolver.
They were made starting in 1850 and production ended in 1873.

It was the successor to the 1848 Baby Dragoon.

These came with 3", 4", 5" and 6" barrels.

The serial number and barrel address of this gun indicates it was made prior to the Civil War.

The brass trigger guard was originally silver plated and it looks like traces of that plating still exists.

Apart from the slightly cruddy nipples, that's one of the nicest Model 1849's I've ever seen. Screw heads are still straight and apparently untampered with, and the gun, although missing most of its finish, is very good overall.

Here in UK such a nice would easily hit at least £1750-2000.

tac

:bow: Love that gun---I am proud to have a Uberti repro of that gun in .31 cal.My favorite gun in my collection---I saw an original at auction a few years back but couldn't outbid (my wallet was on low)the eventual winner. :idunno: :thumbsup: "Doc"

Thank you very much for the info. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it fairly appraised? My local gun shops would not know much about something like this. I am hoping that there is a reputable dealer some where that I might be able to email pics to, etc....?

Thanks again

I wish I could help you out with the name of someone but I'm afraid I can't.

Most of the folks I know wouldn't have any idea at all but at least half of them would tell you it's worth about half of what they think they could sell it for.

Flayderman's Guide (2007) says there are over 200 variations of the 1849.

He said, in 2007 that a Standard model in 4, 5 or 6 inch barrel was worth between $550 for "Good" and $1250 for "Fine".
I think your gun leans a bit towards "Fine" so $900- $1000 might have been a fair value back then.

Times change and inflation affects values so today my estimate might be low.
As tac's post indicates (about $3200), the real value depends a lot on where you are trying to sell the gun and how many buyers are bidding on it.

Where in PA do you live? The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg is a long time Civil War era dealer, and would probably appraise it for you.

Nice looking revolver, too bad no one knows the history. would be nice to know if it came down thru the family or if he picked it up somewhere in a trade or just bought it cause he liked it.

Chad

Dixon's in Kempton PA can probably do something for you. If they cant do an apraisal themselves they will know someone who can.

I have taken some guns to Cabela's to get appraised before. They have alot or appraisal materials on hand. I have always called ahead and made sure someone was in the fine guns department. At certain times of the year they advertise this. If I can get some pictures on the web I'll toss my blunderbuss out to the forum it was the only gun Cabelas couldn't appraise it pre-dates all of their books and no one had experience with them. I just found a book on them from TOW and I hoping it helps my situation

i have found one good one with no fee, just e mail the photo's l/r t/b, i do not know if i can put post up, if not it, oh well here it is michaelsimens.com ph# 216 541 4111. not to get your hopes up, one like it in web site, called for "s "n g's" in the 6000$ range. i do not post :bull: just trying to help out with info i can check my self, that way it cant come back on me. good luck, you have better pic than they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the info--I will check out the online places, and may get to Dixons this spring. I'll let you know what I find out.

Latest posts

Back