• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Colt 1851 navy!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope I don't cause to much stir as this is a conversion I am currently in the process of redoing but here is what I'm talking about on the hammers.
33952634-034A-4E1C-B694-A9BC8F4DB7C3-645-000001B718D8872C_zps7fc2966e.jpg

While still replica, much work was done to achieve a more correct style of checkering and profile
ADA44ADE-64A5-4AF4-9123-45D069C57DBD-645-000001B7240EE8B9_zps77b54b2d.jpg
A3AF19B5-551A-49BA-B601-04C6F361A2A2-645-000001B71283274F_zpsf1f001fc.jpg
I also shortened the barrel and loading lever, added dovetail front sight, action job, new grips and engraving for an easier handling classy carry gun. :wink: before and after.
BF4E8264-FBDF-4547-AB31-F0773DA57197-645-000001B7024F0C54_zps774d87a6.jpg
27B766D2-F3A5-48C9-9E71-A855CD5E7FC9-645-000001B70B14FCCB_zpsd44e8ae0.jpg

Thank you! As a matter of fact it is. The only thing I didn't do was the conversion as it was purchased as one.

I certainly cannot judge whether that is original or not. However, you said:
One was the fact that it had been in the owners family since the civil war.

Really, family oral history is frequently far from accurate. Gun dealers often see beat up import replicas brought in credited with belonging to great-great-grandad who used it in the CW. I have a strip of old American indian beadwork given to my by my mother. She said it was wampum that crossed the country with relatives in a covered wagon with the pioneers. Experts determined, it is not wampun, just a nice beaded strip. And, we had no relaltives who crossed the country as pioneers in a covered wagon. The 'real' facts reduced the value of that strip from many thousands to almost nothing.

Amen!! I think about half of the "antique" guns floating around are fakes. Have a friend that came back from Israel with "real" Roman coins and ancient pottery. Didn't have the heart to tell her it's illegal there to take any of those real items out of the country.
I'm tired of getting answers like "trust me" when looking at purchasing an antique firearm. Found a site called the Horse Soldier that will actually supply a letter of authenticity with a purchase. They ain't cheap though.

You may be right. I probably should have just titled the post "maybe an original colt". So I have a question for you. What are the tail tell signs that this is a fake. I don't want others to be so foolishly mistaken in the future.

why would you think it was fake? if the markings are all correct, the serial number points to an 1863 date, the grip shape and everything else look real, and it isn't for sale nor is it a particularly valuable specimen that would command faking I would tend to believe it is real

Also I don't think 1851's were government army issue in 1863 they were buying 44 caliber army's and remingtons at that point so at best this would be a private purchase for an officer who probably never took it out of the holster if it was carried in the war. could be a reserve officer, supply, staff, medical, any number of things

I mean if he walked in with a Dragoon or a Walker or even a Griswold I would go ovr it but Colt made over 250,000 of these things if memory serves and this looks like a plain example in decent condition

I don't claim to be anything close to an expert. This guy wasn't trying to sell it and all the details say it is real. Most probably it is. I just get frustrated with sellers that expect me to take their word on the authenticity of a firearm.
Would anyone by a diamond from me if it wasn't graded for weight, clarity and cut but I said it was "real"? I just expect someone trying to sell an antique firearm to have it appraised and include the paperwork from a reputable expert. Every time I ask for that the seller acts offended. Makes me wonder what they're selling????

I was simply posting pics of a colt that a fellow stopped by to show us and in doing so he himself was trying to find out more information. I thought you all might enjoy the pics and story. I also don't claim to be an expert. I have handled several originals, many replicas and a couple fakes. I done some research, and everything I saw pointed to being authentic. It was in very good condition but condition depends on previous owners. I've seen 200 year old guns in good condition. I've seen 10 year old guns in terrible condition. I also understand that you cannot just take someone's word that an antique is real or has been in the family. I was privileged enough to get to see a piece of history like this. I was just wondering if you could see something blatant standing out from the few pics I posted that we're not obvious to those of us who studied it in person.

Sorry if I acted offended earlier, it's been a tiring day and I may have been a bit short. Maybe this will help explain how I reached my conclusion , first clue if you notice the address on the top of the barrel, it says -Address Samuel Colt New York City- correct address for time. Serial number , which dated it to 1863 is also located in many places on the pistol. On the bottom of the frame, barrel, trigger guard, cylinder. Also last 4 didgets were on small things like wedge, loading lever ect. Modern replicas do not have all of those numbers. Another clue was the serial number is in a correct 19th century font. Look at modern stamping and also look at older known originals. You can see the difference. Also if you look at the left side of the frame you can see the words Colts patten in two lines on the gun. This is also correct font and location. If it was govt issue there should be a us cartouche stamped under the words. This pistol also had larger oval trigger guard. Colt varied the trigger guard some from year to year and this is what is called the 4 model I believe. Also there should be a 36cal designation on the trigger guard. Not saying this could not all be faked as colt reproduced this pistol in the 70's and they had a lot of the same markings. They were imported parts and assembled in America so they didn't carry many of the Italian proof the new one carry. All this being said the biggest clue was the fact that this pistol had deep cut rifling with 6 lands and grooves and carried a gain twist. The other things can be easily faked and made to look old. The rifling is not so easily done. You mentioned documentation, this pistol had none but a call to Colt for a Colt archieve letter would be a wise choice. A letter world probably cost a couple hundred bucks but it would give some piece of mind. Well I guess that is all I got so hope you all enjoy.

You are absolutely correct on "condition" of guns.

I've seen dozens of guns that are less than 15 years old and they look like they are at least 100.

I own a "modern" pistol that was well taken care of.
All of its original bluing except right at the tip of the muzzle looks like it was done last week.
Even the "straw yellow" of its tempered parts is still straw yellow even though it was made 107 years ago.

Latest posts

Back