• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original British Brunswick P-1841 type Early Model Officer Musket - Untouched Condition (Smoothbore)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnettshale

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have bought several items from the IMA Nepal cache over the years and most of them have been worth the effort. Been looking this one over for a few days and decided to order one last Sunday. I arrived by UPS yesterday mid afternoon. Temperature here yesterday afternoon was north of 105 Deg F. As my shop is not fit to enter in this type of weather I decided to wait until this morning to unbox the gun. They always wrap the gun in bubble wrap and pack with foam peanuts. This morning I went out and set the box on the tailgate of my truck and took pictures as I proceeded to take the gun out of the box.
1. Box had a hole in the area of the hammer

IMG_1468.JPG

2. Bubble wrap OK except for the tip of the hammer sticking out. Not bent or damaged
IMG_1469.JPG
3. Muzzle looks good, ramrod present, nose cap present, all barrel keys and plates are present, bore at muzzle measures .712"
IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1476.JPG
4. Stock with replacement trigger guard, butt plate and patch box
IMG_1471.JPG
5. Wrist of the stock has a crack and I can fix that. All in all I'm pleased and anxious to get started.
IMG_1475.JPG

I know it's rude to ask about price, but.......
https://www.ima-usa.com/collections...arly-model-officer-musket-untouched-condition
A total of around $340 with shipping and insurance by UPS. IMA needs to secure a piece of really stiff hard cardboard or dense foam in the lock area. I have had more than one make a hole in the box. they use enough bubble wrap and peanuts. Seems like a piece of dense foam would help. I've seen a couple unboxed on You tube with broken hammers.

Lest anyone not realise, despite the IMA title these are not British Brunswick rifles. They are Nepalese made Nepal government copies of the 1st Pattern Brunswick Rifle and not made to the same standards nor of the same quality materials. Some are fine, even excellent, but some have inherent issues. The IMA present offer is for a very reasonable price and well worth a punt but even they caution that they are variable in both construction and as found condition. A key item to check is the breech plug.

As I have purchased a total of 8 rifles or muskets from the Nepal cache I am well aware of the quality or lack thereof on some. However in this instance I appear to have lucked out. It has been a manure shoot. I'm running right at 50% on quality and recoverability of the weapons I have purchased. I have been able to put 4 of the 8 back in service. The ones I have been able to salvage I am unable to mention here. I have yet to dig into this one so only have an uneducated opinion at this point. Time will tell. If It doesn't work out then I will have a decent display piece anyway. I do have a P-1853 type musket that I got from them and I'm pretty sure it is going to be a wall hanger. Lots of cracks and missing wood as well as missing things like the nose cap and If I remember correctly maybe a barrel band. Again, I like tinkering with them and seeing what I can accomplish. Gives me great self satisfaction.

It was cool enough to go out for a bit this morning. I was able to separate the stock and barrel with no damage. Just had to break the rust weld between barrel and stock. Three wedges plus the front sling swivel pin/Screw hold it all together along with the hooked breech plug.
IMG_1479.JPG
The lock is packed with heavy grease. The barrel is coated with something that sort of looks like shellac. There was a rust bond between barrel and stock but no pitting. Only marks I have found are to punch marks on the barrel and a matching set on the breech plug. The other marks are the witness marks from when the breech plug was installed and tightened.
IMG_1480.JPG
The barrel wedges are captured by a pin or nail. If you open and enlarge the picture below the nail is visible.
IMG_1482.JPG
Not too bad overall.

As I have purchased a total of 8 rifles or muskets from the Nepal cache I am well aware of the quality or lack thereof on some. However in this instance I appear to have lucked out. It has been a manure shoot. I'm running right at 50% on quality and recoverability of the weapons I have purchased. I have been able to put 4 of the 8 back in service. The ones I have been able to salvage I am unable to mention here. I have yet to dig into this one so only have an uneducated opinion at this point. Time will tell. If It doesn't work out then I will have a decent display piece anyway. I do have a P-1853 type musket that I got from them and I'm pretty sure it is going to be a wall hanger. Lots of cracks and missing wood as well as missing things like the nose cap and If I remember correctly maybe a barrel band. Again, I like tinkering with them and seeing what I can accomplish. Gives me great self satisfaction.
I need a patchbox for mine, any extras? I have an original belted ball mould.
Nit Wit

I took a spin down IMA lane about seven or eight years ago. Fun but frustrating for a guy like me with less-than-mediocre skills and even less patience. Used a lot of Kramer's restorer. They all went someplace else. The best part is opening the box. It's like digging a target found with your metal detector. Robert Service comes to mind, from "The Spell of the Yukon":
"Yet it isn’t the gold that I’m wanting
So much as just finding the gold."

Curious if you know which caps fit the "early 1841 officers model" placed an order yesterday for one. Wondering which caps to stock up on and if there is a known replacement nipple out there for them?

Curious if you know which caps fit the "early 1841 officers model" placed an order yesterday for one. Wondering which caps to stock up on and if there is a known replacement nipple out there for them?
Can't really help with your question, but if this is one of the untouched ones I'd wait to stock up on caps. Some of these are pretty rough and will never shoot again. Good luck and post some pictures when you get it!

Can't really help with your question, but if this is one of the untouched ones I'd wait to stock up on caps. Some of these are pretty rough and will never shoot again. Good luck and post some pictures when you get it!
Decided to go that route. Really hopping it ends up being a small game getter. Do need to stock up on caps for my two Kentucky riffles anyway, just hopeful they use the same ones.

Latest posts

Back