• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Orchid Powderhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Had a less than perfect horn hanging around my bench. Clouded, off white-grey-brown. Not round, with a French and Indian twist. Blood spots, nicks from wear and tear while on the animal. Very large, might hold a pound of powder. Not ideal for scrim, decided to give it a go anyway.

Would appear you overcome the problem of the less than perfect horn!!Looks good ,I have a few horns to ugly for chew toys.
One day they will speak to me and tell me what they want to be,till then they just set on the bench.

Guess that I am missing something here?

What is the purpose of the double wall and the cut-out area and where do you attach the horn strap on the base?

Rick :confused:

horner75 said:
Guess that I am missing something here?

What is the purpose of the double wall and the cut-out area and where do you attach the horn strap on the base?
Probably tie the strap to the butterfly?

I'm sorry, but butterflies, hummingbirds, orchids and that cut out make it look like a a modern art interpretation of a powder horn. Like taking an old car and making a hot rod out of it.

The end cap is the same as any other horns end cap. The inner one keeps the powder from reaching the piercings. The woven strap that is now on it had some of the fringes pulled trough the piercings, tied, and the knot pulled back to remain hidden inside.
Alternately, I could have drilled 2 small holes out on the wings for the strap to be tied to. I simply chose not to.

Also this makes me want flowers on my horn, seriously can't stop looking at your photos.

I've never done scrimshaw, I don't think that'll be something I'll be getting into. But thank you.

while maybe not the most practical horn around, the craftsmanship & artistry of it is outstandin'. :hatsoff:

Back