• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on TVM Early Virginia Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL1164

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After my Traditions Pennsylvania (cap lock) and TC New Englander (cap lock) I'm getting that itch for a flintlock. I'm looking for a good quality flintlock and kinda stumbled upon TVM. Loving the style of the Early Virginia Rifle and really I have a soft spot for long guns. So what's your expert opinions. Not much of a range shooter by the way but very heavy into hunting.

It's a good looking rifle although kinda a mish/mash of Virginia rifle makers - and "early" is an unqualified tag but it doesn't sound like finding something that you could lay next to an original and compare is at the top of your list.

TVM is a decent place that builds semi-custom rifles. By that I mean your rifle will look pretty much like every other "Early Virginia" they build - you can add or change a thing here or there in terms of furniture, barrel or stock wood, but it will be cut on the same machine with the same pattern as everyone else's who orders "that style".

They do use quality parts from the well respected makers of Black Powder parts - so no issues there. And for a few extra bucks you can opt for the top shelf parts (barrels etc).

I do hope that my comments are not coming off as negative somehow, because I don't mean them that way. TVM and the few others like them bridge the gap between a "production gun" from Traditions etc and the "get on the waiting list, drop a few thousand bucks and wait" rifle makers.

If you are looking for the "more correct" version of an early Virginia I would opt for their model with the 42" barrel (swamped would be more accurate), the brass furniture and get the optional Chambers Colonial lock instead of the Siler that comes standard (it would be uncommon to find an early Virginia with a Germanic (Siler) lock on it - of the hundreds of pics I have of originals they were overwhelmingly "brass mounted with English locks") - but it's your choice and wallet - the upgrades/changes "cost"...

I don't know that I'm an expert as I have just gotten into black powder/longrifles over the last couple of years, but I can give you my thoughts on my TVM Early Virginia.

Like you I wanted a nice flintlock after having spent a couple of years with my Pedersoli Kentucky percussion rifle.

I received mine in June. I opted for the 42" .50 caliber B weight swamped barrel (made by Rice). It feels lighter and isn't as nose heavy as my Pedersoli Kentucky with it's 36" .50 caliber straight barrel. So the balance offhand for me is just excellent. The swamped barrel was definitely worth the extra money. Mine has the large Siler lock, no ignition problems to speak of and its quick. I got the fancy maple and its just stunning. It is a very nicely built rifle and fit and finish are excellent. It is also very comfortable to shoot.

I can't speak to their "correctness", but its an excellent rifle and I'm very happy with mine. I decided on TVM after a member in the black powder club I belong to let me handle the three TVM rifles he had (early Lancaster, Southern Mountain, and a kit early Lancaster he was building). I was able to shoot his .45 Southern Mountain. I was glad I had an opportunity to handle them before making the purchase as I got a feel for what I would be purchasing and it assured me that the money I was about to spend was going to be well spent.

I have three TVM flintlocks and one of them is a Early Virginia. I love mine. Mine has a 42" Colerain .50 caliber swamped barrel, a Colonial Virginia ( English Style ) lock, browned steel furniture with a three piece domed patchbox, and a premium maple stock. It's a great shooting rifle. And TVM are great people. I do agree with what galamb said. But to buy a full blown historically / period correct custom flintlock your going to have to spend more than a couple thousand. Maybe as much as $4000 to $5000.

Thanks guys, yeah definitely not looking for a $4K+ rifle but one of nice quality, shoots good, and reliability in that style of a long rifle.

For the $$$, you should give Tip Curtis a call. I'm only speaking from my experience with both. Tip has been a pleasure to deal with, and you get a lot of gun for the $$$. Good luck.

They don't all look alike. I have two of their late Lancasters and the architecture is so different they could have been built by different builders. Since Matt builds from a board, not a precarve, each gun will vary considerably in detail.

hanshi said:
They don't all look alike. I have two of their late Lancasters and the architecture is so different they could have been built by different builders. Since Matt builds from a board, not a precarve, each gun will vary considerably in detail.

I think he means the architecture for that particular style (model - their generic Early VA) will look the same as the other guns they produce in that style/model. It is a very generic profile not based on any specific "Early VA" rifle as far as I can tell. Those guns also have some minor, rather unhistorical features that you wouldn't notice unless you handled some originals or good repros. That said, they use good components from a functional standpoint and will no doubt make a serviceable rifle.

If you're interested in eventually having a rifle that more closely mirrors something from the 18th century, start by taking a look at this short article by the late Gary Brumfield - What's a Virginia Rifle? For some pictures of some "early" original VA rifles, check out this article from Wallace Gussler - Early Rifles of the Shenandoah Valley Frankly, I don't trust any maker who calls a gun "Early VA" unless they cite specific examples or original guns. But again, if you're not concerned so much with historical accuracy, I'm sure you'll be pleased just as many folks on this forum have been with this gun from TVM. A good lock and barrel will put a hole in a target or a deer. Some people are just fine with "close enough" when it comes to historical accuracy, and that's just fine.

galamb said:
...and get the optional Chambers Colonial lock instead of the Siler that comes standard

Their optional lock is the L&R Queen Anne, not the Chambers.

I have the L&R Queen Anne lock on my Early Lancaster rifle and it works great! Not picky about prime at all. As long as I have the flint set to strike the frizzen at that 55°-60° angle, and I wipe off the underside of the flint every once in a while, she goes off every time. In my experience it has been a great lock!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I bought their early Va kit and can tell you that it was a quality kit. I have had the rifle now for about three years and love it. Very reliable and accurate. I opted for steel finishing, 50 cal green mountain barrel.

I've got one of their Early Va rifles with several changes made @ my request,58 Cal Rice swamped round bottem rifled barrel,different sights and lock.It is brass mounted with +++ curly Maple.This rifle is very accurate and comfortable to shoot even with 120gr Ffg loads which it likes very much.I shot a large doe @ 77yrds measured the first hunt I went on with it.TVM is easy to deal with and cooperative,The rifles are not quite custom but pretty damn good .....in my opinion

My .58 TVM Early Va has the Rice bbl with round bottom rifling and iron fittings, and the Chambers Dale Johnson lock. Mine also prefers that 120gr load of Goex, it will do 5-shot ragged hole groups @ 50yds with it. Elephant 2Fg is nearly as good, though it needs 125gr.

The rifle doesn't like Swiss 2Fg at all though, I tried everything from 70-110gr without success - at 100gr and above the swiss will foul something awful. The Mad Monk says that's common with 58's and swiss 2Fg, something about that combination causes the combustion to go wonky.

I have a TVM Early Virginia Rifle in .54 with a Long Hammock barrel. I had it built as a deer rifle, it may not be completely "correct" but it shoots very well and it kills deer as dead as a correct one. I have owned this rifle for 10 years and taken around 15 deer and two black bears with it. I feel that it is a good rifle for the money.

You know, if it's not for historical reenactments, it doesn't need to be historically correct. It just needs to have the features that you want. Sounds like you have that!

Twisted_1in66
Dan

twisted_1in66 said:
You know, if it's not for historical reenactments, it doesn't need to be historically correct. It just needs to have the features that you want. Sounds like you have that!

Twisted_1in66
Dan

AGREED!

open tab to tvm....
https://static.wixstatic.com/media...1/694e91_92226db957a6455595864b9568b78aa3.jpg

Picture from tvm web sight...

the nose cap and gap between rr set off alarms....
check out the thickness of the forearm
and extra wood above the trigger guard..
don't forget the routed rr chanel.

These are real everyday happenings at tvm.
Love them or other wise you make the choice.

Do your home work...get your hands on originals..
You decided how much of your hard earned dollars you would like to part with.
Have fun....

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the tvm vir 58 cal aged steel , and had to send back ther were fibgerprints starting to rust on barrel and butt plate, cost me $66 shipping (not refunded) then when i got it back the lock broke (siler) after the third shot!

Back