• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions on the blue ridge rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 12 Ga. club butt fowler recently and asked the maker to take the rust off the barrel and lock -- he said there wasn't a spot of rust ANYWHERE on the gun and it was "browning." Well, it sure looked like a little too dark, blotchy, "patina" to me...

One man's rust is another mans browning... or patina.

I'm very familiar... Those guns are quite different feeling -- definitely worth handling and for an hour's drive, or a slow two or three, I'd sure as heck wanna take advantage of inspecting them before I got them. Even a Pedersoli -- these days you can't be too careful. You're lucky!

Funny, my wife calls me "club butt fowler". Go figure.

The nearest Cabela's for me is a 4 hour drive. Either the one in Lincoln, Nebraska or the one in Owatana, MN. So I'll bide my time and see which way the wind sends me. I'm liking that Pennsylvania gun though. Very pretty.

Jim Bob said:
These are percussion guns that are coming from Cabelas. I shoot left hand and need to know of any production companies that would make a LH Flintlock.
Pedersoli sells LH frontiers

IowaShooter said:
I just checked out both at the site and the Blue Ridge is a nice looking rifle, but the Pennsylvania rifle is sure a pretty one. But it's around $150 more for that pretty looks. I'm going to have to wait until I get my bonus in a few months. Tuck some away to buy one of these.
Yeah but the PENN rifle has a reallly high cheek comb that people like me cannot get low enough down on the stock to use the sights. The frontier/blue ridge no issues

How does it compare to the Kentucky model they make?

I have a Kentucky and it fits me like a glove. If the Penn is anything like that I should be OK. :thumbsup:

2_Tall said:
Pedersoli sells LH frontiers

Where can one find such a beast? I could swear this model was only offered in RH, I'd be a happy camper if there were a production left-handed full-stock flintlock.

-GB

BrownBear said:
I had the same question. If I'd know lefties were around, neither of my 2 Frontiers would be a righty.

Same here! I am LH shooter too and I thought Pedersoli only made RH guns. I own 5 Pedersoli guns and all are RH, but would buy LH if available.
I love the Kentucky rifle and my Frontier/BlueRidge as far as fit. The Pennsylvania does have too high a cheek rest on comb for me as someone else stated here.
The Kentucky and Frontier/BlueRidge seem to fit same and I like the fit.

Hmmm, the Pennsylvania has always felt like a front-heavy Kentucky to me. Quite different from the slim Frontier.

Thank you Loyalist Dave, that is exactly where I was when I bought my frontier, and still am it seems. even though I do no re-enacting I still have the desire for a HC-PC gun but since I have aging eyes and trembling hands anymore I am kinda glad I didn't spend 2 grand on a rifle to walk the woods and take pot shots at squirrels. the dream is still alive and I always intended to end up with a .62 smoothbore and the rifle anyways but the rifles price made it first and it does it's job, which is to allow me to feel like Daniel Boone for a little while whether my rifle looks like his or not. I don't hunt anything but limb rats anymore and I am hoping and praying to be poppin em with a .62 next year, or who knows maybe a .45 smoothbore.
Thanks to all for the good info.

creek

I finally got to shoot mine over the weekend. I was shooting at 50 yards off the railing of the porch, using 0.015" pillow ticking patches lubed with spit, and .530 balls. I charged with 60 grains of FFFg, and primed with 4Fg.

I was able to shoot a baseball sized group right off the bat. Ignition was faster than any of my other production guns.

The only complaint I have is the front sight is too tall and too wide. I had to put about half of it above the notch in the rear sight to hit where I wanted to vertically.

Intentional -- it's easier to file it down to right where you want it than make it taller (or wider for that matter).

Mine had to be filed down to a sliver of what it was originally...... Then I replaced it with a finer silver front sight! Greg. :)

T'only thing about those thick front sights, they're sure easier to see in low light, at least with my geezerly eyes.

In my youth I went thinner and thinner, but now that I'm well past 60 I find myself going back and replacing all those thin front sights with thick ones.

Age 62 here, had great eyes all my life until the past four or five as now I wear glasses and I now like the wider front sight too as I can see it much better in low light too.

. So I'm guessing if your using the thicker blade front sight then the rear sight has to have the notch filed open some? Greg

Critter Getter said:
. So I'm guessing if your using the thicker blade front sight then the rear sight has to have the notch filed open some? Greg

Yup, but very gently. A little goes a long ways. I want just a little gap of light showing on either side of the front blade. Helps too, to deepen the rear notch so even more light shows.

The hardest thing to "learn" is to center your aim point in the middle of that wide front blade. Not all that hard to do really, and the results are worth the small learning curve.

Back