• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions on the blue ridge rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
armakiller said:
Alden said:
David Snellen said:
I do not/have never owned one, but they remind me of the Hatfield rifles made in the '80's

They should. That's exactly what they are. Pedersoli took over the Hatfields as The Frontier and Cabela's has their branded version Blue Ridge.

As long and (front)heavy as I can handle in full octagon. But I lov'em and have a coupla hatfield flints, an old Pedersoli Frontier, and even a Hatfield caplock.

You may not have any!

It looks like to me that somebody has too many! :grin: Maybe your the reason he don't have one!. :grin:

They're all my children, and each a little different, but I love them all equally.

I'm going to the local gun show tomorrow. I'm hoping a gent that was at the last one a couple of months ago returns and has a rifle I saw. He had a Kentucky (I think it was) that was made by a friend of his from a TOW kit and the guy did a great job on it. Nice stock and barrel and great carving. I think it was in my caliber too. .45 is what I like. He had it for a very good price and if I pay cash maybe he will let me have it for a little less. I hope he's there and still has it. I took the cash out of my bank account in hopes that it's there. Wish me luck.

Well the guy was there, but I was a day late and a dollar short. The gun was sold an hour before I got to him. Dang.

I just bought one made by Pedersoli two days ago from Cabelas on sale Black Friday special for $499 and free shipping. I can't wait to see it. 54 caliber Blue Ridge. I bought three new rifles this past couple days from Cabelas. Super pricing with black Friday deals. Got a Rocky Mtn. Hawken 54 with Maple for $949 too and they are usually in the $1,300 range retail. Have a Pedersoli Kentucky coming too in 50. Now I am broke and will have to wait awhile now before I can buy anything. I am collecting the Pedersoli guns anyway and these three will be keepsakes I am sure! I will post pics of some of these BP rifles I have. Love old style guns and want to get some Sharps long range by Pedersoli in BP too.

Sounds like you found something really good. Those are great prices. I bought my Pedersoli Kentucky used off of Gun Broker for a little over $500 so getting the Blue Ridge one for $499 is really great. Congratulations. I might have to check out those deals. But I'm probably a day late and a dollar short on that sale too. LOL :doh:

The gun the dealer had was a hand made kit gun from Trail of the Wolf. It was, I think, a .45 caliber with a swamped barrel, tiger maple stock and had beautiful carving all over the wood. It was beautiful. He wanted $700 for it. I really hated losing that one. But, I hope I have the money when the next one comes along.

I also bought a Kentucky made by Pedersoli from Cabellas a day before I bought the Blue Ridge for $469.99 free shipping and I get it too in next day or two. I couldn't believe those prices. $70 more than a new traditions brand Kentucky. Those have the split stock and I like full stock no splits.

I went ahead and bought a .54 cal Blue Ridge flintlock. Should be here tomorrow. I probably won't get to shoot it for a couple of weeks, but if the stars align I'm going to use it during our late flintlock season.

I got mine yesterday.
Impressions so far: the lock sparks great.
The trigger is good with the set trigger set, but takes a winch to set off without it. I'll have to adjust it.
The wood-to-metal fit is excellent
The rifle is no-frills, but that's what I wanted. To my eye it resembles a southern mountain rifle, but with brass furniture.

Can't wait to shoot it!

For the short difference of 3" on the barrel they are rather different guns Iowa...

And yes, their Cabela's-branded Kentucky traded the patchbox for the double set trigger.

palonghunter said:
To my eye it resembles a southern mountain rifle, but with brass furniture.

I agree. Kinda grated on my eye until the brass got a good patina. Didn't take long. I just rubbed all the brass with dirty patches each time I swabbed at the range.

One thing on the Blue Ridge/Frontier that made me goofy was the "buckhorn" rear sight. I first filed off the ears, then finally replaced them on both of mine.

I like the single trigger of mine and the patchbox comes in handy to carry a few patches and a couple of extra flints. I also carry my patch puller in there.

I have the double triggers on my CVA Hawken and while they work great, I don't feel I really need the set trigger.

I'm going to be looking into that there blue ridge gun. Not saying I'm going to be buying one, but you never know.

I see my post with the link to Cabelas has been deleted... I'm guessing it was because of the link to something for sale? Anyway.. sorry about that.

I've been trying to decide between the Blue Ridge and the Pennsylvania. Both very nice rifles!

I just checked out both at the site and the Blue Ridge is a nice looking rifle, but the Pennsylvania rifle is sure a pretty one. But it's around $150 more for that pretty looks. I'm going to have to wait until I get my bonus in a few months. Tuck some away to buy one of these.

Johnny and Iowa, do handle them both first before deciding which to buy. They're production guns. Advantages of such include commonality and uniformity.

Alden thanks for the tip. Lucky for me there is a Cabelas within an hours drive. I'm not sure they have these in stock though. I'll call first.
The Pennsylvania is a bit more fancy plus a little longer barrel and the patch box.
I've got three CVA rifles that I put together in the early 80's so I was also looking at some kit makers and a couple nice looking rifles on gunbroker. But one looks like it had a little rust. When I questioned the seller about it he called it "patina". :doh:

Back