• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinion on Lyman rifles wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ames said:
003_zps77fcdser.jpg
[/URL][/img]

:grin: No disrespect to ol' George, but that just may be the neatest target shot I have ever seen! :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

I haven't split a hair with it but, this is as good as I can be so far. Lyman GPR 50 cal percussion, offhand 25 yrds, peep sights.
I do like my GPR!

I split this one this past Saturday at our club match. 5th one in competition so far.

necchi said:
Keep saving your money and see if you can find someplace to handle and shoulder each rifle,, there are differences in the way they fit.
The curve of the butt, the drop and cheek are different.
You might find that you prefer the fit of one over the other.

I bought a lyman GPR in 54. it was not a bad rifle, but the lock is a factory lock with several issues. the frizzen, main spring, the frizzen spring..all needed work. mine out of the box shattered flints because the frizzen spring was way too stiff. so i paid 750$ for a rifle that I paid another 150$ for lock work, which even then I wasnt happy so i replaced the lock completely for another 150....and sold it for 500... I took a bath on the deal. I could have bought a used custom rifle at that rate... I wont buy another. while they arent perfect...I was very happy with my pedersoli long rifle....you can find them on sale often for around 500$. you could buy one of those, swap the lock for a better one and still be at the price for a lyman... necci has a good idea...save the pennies and get something else

Sorry to hear your flintlock caused all those problems.

On the other hand, we are in the Percussion section of the forum and I haven't heard any real complaints about the GPR's percussion locks (yet).

I know mine works just fine. :)

The only thing I really don't like about the Percussion GPR is the rear set trigger takes a strong ox to pull it back to set it.

here we go again. Still trying to figure out photo posting

I cut this one with my GPR .50 cal percussion this past weekend. Best thing I did to mine was put in a Davis deer slayer set of triggers. It made it a completely different rifle. The only issue I have ever had with my rifle is not enough time to shoot it. Not yet to have a single issue with mine.

On the other hand, we are in the Percussion section of the forum and I haven't heard any real complaints about the GPR's percussion locks (yet).

I know mine goes through caps like crazy, not really sure why. That's my only complaint.

Longone said:
I know mine goes through caps like crazy, not really sure why. That's my only complaint.

I bet you're still using the Lyman nipple, probably with CCI caps. Keep the CCI, but chuck the nipple. It's not a good fit.

BrownBear said:
Longone said:

I bet you're still using the Lyman nipple, probably with CCI caps. Keep the CCI, but chuck the nipple. It's not a good fit.

Naw, I was only kidding. When I go to the range I shoot that rifle a lot. That's why I go through so many caps. I love taking that rifle out for the day.

I got a Great Plains Rifle in .50 recently. It shoots well, but there is an awful lot of "character" in the polishing of the barrel flats. Most of that is up near the muzzle. Overall, it is a nice looking rifle for $500.

Sooter76 said:
BrownBear said:
Zonie said:
...the rear set trigger takes a strong ox to pull it back to set it.

A strong ox and a good running start! :wink:

Seriously!? I can't say that's been my experience with my GPR.

I have four, and there are another 8 or so in the neighborhood. Our experience makes it unanimous that you're darned lucky! :hatsoff:

I'm one of the lucky ones as well! Even with that I'm still replacing the trigger with a Dear Slayer set.

Mike

So I'm kind of a new guy here. I have an Old CVA Hawken and I would like a GPR kit to build before I drop some major coin on a Track of the Wolf or another high end kit. Not being able to find any locally here in Kansas City I'm stuck with internet option. My question is how is the wood on these kit guns? I would hate to get one that is less then structurally desirable.

I haven't heard of a Lyman GPR with a poor stock.

Their stocks are European Walnut and the grain patterns can run from blah to beautiful.

I have heard of a few people who didn't like the mortise's on the stock because they were a bit too deep but I think these are the exception.

If you get a GPR kit, take the time to do some research, studying as many Hawkens and other Plains rifles as you can find.

The GPR kits, like most factory kits have more wood on their stocks than is needed or wanted so quite a bit of wood removal using a rough sandpaper is needed.

When you sand the wood down to match the nose cap and butt plate, be sure to blend it in for at least a distance of 4 inches or more.
There should be no rapid changes of direction in the contour or "lay" of the wood.

Also, before you get the idea of staining the stock, be sure to wet the wood with water.
Only when it is wet will it show what it's real color and darkness is.

More times than not, no stain at all will be the answer to the question, "What stain should I use?"

My GPR has good, dark but unspectacular walnut. Very dark and dense. I bought it from Cabela's about 23 years ago. It's a shooter and the wood/metal fit is excellent.

I have "heard" of the newer ones being less in the stock fit, but haven't seen one to judge for myself.

My rear set trigger isn't all that strong, but takes a decisive pull. I figure it's a safety measure.

Back