• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open tops are just sexy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 13 year old granddaughter is that person. She’s getting this one, my grandfather’s 1860 army and a number of other family heirlooms.

Isnt it good to have Gun nuts in the family, both my adult daughter and son are having been bought up from an early age that way, and now my 7 year old grandsons the same.

How about an early 51 Navy?
Navy Colt 17xx.JPG

Isnt it good to have Gun nuts in the family, both my adult daughter and son are having been bought up from an early age that way, and now my 7 year old grandsons the same.

She’s been my best little buddy since she was a toddler. We just clicked, just like me and my grandpa Kasjen… and yes, every family needs at least two gun cranks. We have five but she’s the most fascinated with the old ones.

She’s been my best little buddy since she was a toddler. We just clicked, just like me and my grandpa Kasjen… and yes, every family needs at least two gun cranks. We have five but she’s the most fascinated with the old ones.

Good for you sir, my 36 year old "little girl" was introduced to Pistols at around 8 years old and she picked it up without a pause; talk about a natural she was a hot shot and often dropped by the Army Range when our Army Pistol Club was practising. She's a bit of "a looker" ( part time Models, her cousin won Miss Universe in 2018, we breed gorgeous girls in our family but ugly dawgs as males LOL) and my Soldiers were trying to date her, after they watched her on the range slamming rounds into the black bull at 25 and centre scene mass 50 metres. I could bore you for hours with some of the funny incidents that happened "Daddy can you tell them I dont need help to change magazines" etc

Good for you sir, my 36 year old "little girl" was introduced to Pistols at around 8 years old and she picked it up without a pause; talk about a natural she was a hot shot and often dropped by the Army Range when our Army Pistol Club was practising. She's a bit of "a looker" ( part time Models, her cousin won Miss Universe in 2018, we breed gorgeous girls in our family but ugly dawgs as males LOL) and my Soldiers were trying to date her, after they watched her on the range slamming rounds into the black bull at 25 and centre scene mass 50 metres. I could bore you for hours with some of the funny incidents that happened "Daddy can you tell them I dont need help to change magazines" etc
:thumb:
She’s 13 now and yes she’s a very good looking girl. She’s been a gymnast since she was 6, practicing Kendo for 4 years now. Much to her parents chagrin, her plan is to enlist in the USMC and learn to fly when she graduates from High School.

:thumb:
She’s 13 now and yes she’s a very good looking girl. She’s been a gymnast since she was 6, practicing Kendo for 4 years now. Much to her parents chagrin, her plan is to enlist in the USMC and learn to fly when she graduates from High School.

Good for her, encourage the Girl and let her forge ahead to her own Goals.

Very good thread, some lovely pistols; referring to the Ruger “Old Army”. They are very strong but the cylinder pin is weak where it is cut for the retaining pin, I’ve seen a number that bent and three that snapped off; to much pressure on the lever probably.

Here’s a photo of a photo of my “Rugington”, shaved halt a pound off the weight (originally a bit heavy for me) and made a new and improved cylinder pin, retained by a screw that was much smaller than the original pin.
3200CE88-0EA1-4E8C-88BE-F7F64BA7D6C8.jpeg

Last edited:
20220307_234118.jpg

I only own one Remington- type and I'll probably end up selling it. I never warmed up to the Remingtons.

I always kinda liked the Spiller & Burr, and Rogers & Spencer though. I have a Spiller & Burr "kit gun" that I use as a display piece. I didn't do a good job on it either.

But I own at least 10 Colt Open Top repros including this 2nd Gen Pocket Navy.

They are just gorgeous, classy revolvers and they are the best handling guns ever.

20220310_015556.jpg

I have a weird "thing" for the brasser Navies too. There are 2 "Schneider & Glassicks" plus 2 with engraved cylinders......I need a pair of the .36 "Sheriffs" too. I just think they look neat. I'll probably need another in .44 to . I had one years ago, they're still $250 so why not. Keep the loads light.

Last edited:
20220302_135454.jpg

I even carried the Pocket Navy as a "to and from work" car gun last week just to do it. I feel it would have been capable if in the really off chance I needed it.

20211231_165007.jpg

And this snubby Walker to go with my pair of Walkers

Very good thread, some lovely pistols; referring to the Ruger “Old Army”. They are very strong but the cylinder pin is weak where it is cut for the retaining pin, I’ve seen a number that bent and three that snapped off; to much pressure on the lever probably.

Here’s a photo of a photo of my “Rugington”, shaved halt a pound off the weight (originally a bit heavy for me) and made a new and improved cylinder pin, retained by a screw that was much smaller than the original pin.View attachment 121404
I believe what happens to the Ruger base pins that bend or break is the owner forgets to turn the lock screw to the lock position after removing the cylinder and then proceeds to load. The base pin not being locked slides back out of battery and the lever preasure then bends or breaks the unsupported shaft. I've had my ROA for years and never had a single problem with anything mechanical.

Back