• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open tops are just sexy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying B

.54 cal
Reaction score
Couple of Italian hotties on this cold Missouri day.
9AC428A2-98CF-4855-9BD9-19076CA29018.jpeg

i'll agree, they certainly are sexy
View attachment 119823

Good view of the usual Italian proof marks there, Sir.

Mind if I trot them out again for anybody reading who might be engaging in some scratch-heading?

CU in square = dom - 2019.

CIP = Legislation under which the Proof House is required by law to operate and conduct its business. Fourteen nations are signed up to the CIP protocol - excluding the US of A.

More -

The Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives ("Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms" – commonly abbreviated as C.I.P.) is an international organisation which sets standards for safety testing of firearms. (The word portatives ("portable") in the name refers to the fact the C.I.P. tests small arms almost exclusively; it is ordinarily omitted from the English translation of the name.) As of 2015, its members are the national governments of 14 countries, of which 11 are European Union member states. The C.I.P. safeguards that all firearms and ammunition sold to civilian purchasers in member states are safe for the users.

To achieve this, all such firearms are first proof tested at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses. The same applies for cartridges; at regular intervals, cartridges are tested against the C.I.P. pressure specifications at the ammunition manufacturing plants and at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses.

PN = Polvere nero - black powder

Coat of Arms of the city of Gardone Val Trompia in Brescia province, surmounted by the star of the Republic of Italy. The Italian National Proof House is located in that city.

wow thanks for the history lesson.
i take pics of the whole gun, serial # and cylinder and proof marks for all my guns for my homeowners insurance files.

dont run over the remington with your truck and it will be fine

Didn't need a truck, just a hand on the loading lever.

How could you bend a Remington?

I think it was a case of too hard and too big balls!!! Lol!!

The same balls in an open top sheared the loading lever screw (pretty impressive!) but didn't destroy it! It's all about design . . .

Mike

Didn't need a truck, just a hand on the loading lever.

I think it was a case of too hard and too big balls!!! Lol!!

The same balls in an open top sheared the loading lever screw (pretty impressive!) but didn't destroy it! It's all about design . . .

Mike
A buddy of mine was complaining about how hard it was to load his ROA. So he brought it over and I discovered that he was loading .490” ball in that gun. He’d already fired at least 2 cylinders before he brought it up. Nothing was bent or stretched that I could see… that’s the benefit of a stout design and proper material.

Back