• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Online sales craziness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midway had Uberti Walkers in stock last month for $420. I hemmed and hawed over either that or a Dragoon, and finally decided the latter would be a bit easier to manage. It was also on sale for $370. :)

I can't explain why guns sell for such exorbitant amounts on Gunbroker, other than the fact that there are a lot of people with more money than patience.

Midway had Uberti Walkers in stock last month for $420. I hemmed and hawed over either that or a Dragoon, and finally decided the latter would be a bit easier to manage. It was also on sale for $370. :)

I can't explain why guns sell for such exorbitant amounts on Gunbroker, other than the fact that there are a lot of people with more money than patience.
Part of it is the excitement of an auction. Start out as a bargain, then it's competition and a bit of excitement. Plus, I truly believe some on-line bidders must be purple-eyed drunk at their keyboards. Add in mis-labelled items, scammers, and such. A cure for boredom and expensive lessons sometimes.

Firearms prices are up. Auction prices are sky high. Auction companies have convinced people that they have won items. Add shipping and heavy buyers premiums and the total price goes even higher. I guess we will see where it goes!
Nit Wit

One aspect has become apparent. Take a screwed-up, partially-fixed, or just about anything you can't get much for, take it apart and sell piece-by-piece on the online auctions. With good pix and accurate descriptions, there's serious money to be made. Sometimes far more than the p.o.s. you parted out. Seems somebody, somewhere, will need a buggered up barrel, cracked stock, or stripped lockplate. Add "rare" to the title.

One aspect has become apparent. Take a screwed-up, partially-fixed, or just about anything you can't get much for, take it apart and sell piece-by-piece on the online auctions. With good pix and accurate descriptions, there's serious money to be made. Sometimes far more than the p.o.s. you parted out. Seems somebody, somewhere, will need a buggered up barrel, cracked stock, or stripped lockplate. Add "rare" to the title.
Vintage…

There are Uberti Dragoons in stock for $420 or so but apparently the Walkers are harder to find, so someone paid a $150+ premium. Not too crazy if someone wants one.

Not a single person on Earth "needs" a percussion revolver, these are all impulse buys or just the fact that people want what they can't easily get.

No, crazy, is people paying $1000 for Palmetto Whitney revolvers
Crazy is paying $4 for a cup of coffee..

A crook breaks laws, what does a firearm law means to him is nothing. I heard that it was estimated to be five firearms for every man, woman and child in the U.S.? If I go by my friends and aquaintances this figure is very low? I am not up to date on the gun laws but it used to be only a person that has commited a felony where violence was used. Not every felon was banned from owning a firearm.

Judging by the number of arrests for such shenan involving BP and antique firearms I’m gonna say such people are few and far between. If a fella is set on breaking the law, I doubt the gun control act of 68 is going to slow him down for more than a heartbeat or two.
Only idiots and, maybe, legislators, believe one more law will gain the attention of criminals and crazies who ignore all the existing laws.

there are felons and then there are FELONS.
I had to arrest on a felony hit, one of my best friends and one of nicest people i have ever known. he just couldn't drink and not drive. and he couldn't drive when he drank.
no reason in the world he should lose his gun rights other than that was law. broke my heart.
i have mixed feelings about some laws. I lost two relatives to drunks. The federal law says people who illegally use central nervous system depressants, alcohol is a CND.

A crook breaks laws, what does a firearm law means to him is nothing. I heard that it was estimated to be five firearms for every man, woman and child in the U.S.? If I go by my friends and aquaintances this figure is very low? I am not up to date on the gun laws but it used to be only a person that has commited a felony where violence was used. Not every felon was banned from owning a firearm.

Actually the "standard" when I started policing in 1990 was "violation of any law where you could be imprisoned for more than a year".

This was the threshold for many states when it came to a law being classified as a "felony", and there was no crime of violence requirement.
However, this was very confusing because on the East Coast, in the original colonies that then became states..., there are some laws classified as a "misdemeanor" where a person could be imprisoned for more than a year (even today in Maryland we have some that go as high as 10 years ... but they are not felonies)..., AND there was also Common Law where the penalty was worded, "such sentence deemed fair and reasonable at by a judge"... vague... BUT that means a judge could lock up the convicted person for more than 365 days....so....,

THEN further problems because the standard was "could have" not "actually sentenced" so guys were filling out forms at the LGS and running into Federal violations because they had plead guilty to some law where the judge gave them Probation..., "well I wasn't sentenced to more than a year" ..., ah but could you have been ??? And poor dumb husbands who would be charged with domestic violence by their wife, or ex wife, and then plead guilty to "simple assault" which was a Common Law misdemeanor, and then the State Police would notify them to turn in or sell off their guns because of Federal Law.

Currently because of States' increasing of max penalties, the threshold is now, (iirc) 24 months. Felony or misdemeanor or common law, makes no difference.

We now return you to Online sales Craziness

LD

Actually the "standard" when I started policing in 1990 was "violation of any law where you could be imprisoned for more than a year".

This was the threshold for many states when it came to a law being classified as a "felony", and there was no crime of violence requirement.
However, this was very confusing because on the East Coast, in the original colonies that then became states..., there are some laws classified as a "misdemeanor" where a person could be imprisoned for more than a year (even today in Maryland we have some that go as high as 10 years ... but they are not felonies)..., AND there was also Common Law where the penalty was worded, "such sentence deemed fair and reasonable at by a judge"... vague... BUT that means a judge could lock up the convicted person for more than 365 days....so....,

THEN further problems because the standard was "could have" not "actually sentenced" so guys were filling out forms at the LGS and running into Federal violations because they had plead guilty to some law where the judge gave them Probation..., "well I wasn't sentenced to more than a year" ..., ah but could you have been ??? And poor dumb husbands who would be charged with domestic violence by their wife, or ex wife, and then plead guilty to "simple assault" which was a Common Law misdemeanor, and then the State Police would notify them to turn in or sell off their guns because of Federal Law.

Currently because of States' increasing of max penalties, the threshold is now, (iirc) 24 months. Felony or misdemeanor or common law, makes no difference.

We now return you to Online sales Craziness

LD
I'm from southern Md. Great post.

Mostly, it's supply and demand. The supply chain from Italian firearm producers is still broken. Lots of revolvers are hard to find. Just looked on Midway and they actually have a pretty decent selection in stock. But if you go to EMF Company (which is Pietta's own distribution channel) lots of stuff is still out of stock. The Uberti Walker is out of stock at Midway.

Lots of guns just can't be found at any price at usual commercial places right now.

I jussi saw that a “mint” Colt 2nd Generation 1851 sold for $1,555 on Gunbroker after a penny start and 57 bids. Crazy.

I love the look of most BP revolvers. Just not enough to deal with the care and maintenance involved should I decide to actually shoot one. Maybe if the wife would let me use the dishwasher after.
But I'd crawl through broken glass for a chance to fire my flint long rifle.

Pietta and Uberti just apparently released bunches of revolvers, MidWay just had a clearance and with the shortages and gouging of the past couple years, it seems like they're giving them away when you can get a steel frame Pietta Navy for $250

I love the look of most BP revolvers. Just not enough to deal with the care and maintenance involved should I decide to actually shoot one. Maybe if the wife would let me use the dishwasher after.
But I'd crawl through broken glass for a chance to fire my flint long rifle.
It's really not that big a thing, I clean a pair of cap and ballers in half an hour , and that's taking my time. I actually enjoy cleaning guns.

there are a few people who are prohibited by state law from possessing any firearms including black powder/muzzle loaders. because of convictions or probation. They will readily pat a premium to get cap and ball revolvers through the mail.. Pennsylvania bars people on probation, with certain convictions and a few others from having ANY firearms even antique. A fellow in my community has several such convictions and is still being arrested frequently for poaching violations. with muzzle loaders. He recently switched to high power air rifles and cross bows to avoid additional firearms charges. A couple years ago, a raid found a gun safe full of firearms embedded in the concrete floor of his garage hidden under a work bench.

Good thing law enforcement is on to him. Imagine what he’d be up to if all our laws didn’t protect us from this deviant! 😂

Back