• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One ugly rescue mission

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may remove quite a bit of wood, but we'll see.

So, It has the standard two-piece stock. There is a brass spacer between the two pieces. However, when I attach the nose piece to the barrel, and butt the two stock pieces, I'm left with something like an eighth inch gap at the front, between the stock and the nose piece.

I'm going to have to make a spacer to go in there. I'm thinking elk horn, if I have a piece large enough. If I have a large enough piece, I may replace the brass spacer with elk horn.

I may remove quite a bit of wood, but we'll see.

So, It has the standard two-piece stock. There is a brass spacer between the two pieces. However, when I attach the nose piece to the barrel, and butt the two stock pieces, I'm left with something like an eighth inch gap at the front, between the stock and the nose piece.

I'm going to have to make a spacer to go in there. I'm thinking elk horn, if I have a piece large enough. If I have a large enough piece, I may replace the brass spacer with elk horn.
I am redo-ing one of these as well. I was thinking to leave the spacers out and redrill the nose cap holes to bring the cap back to the wood. Other thought is a new nose cap that could be cut back to fit. I have done one with a wood spacer before and am looking for other options. Good luck and let us know your solution please.

Haven't tried much of anything yet.

Missing nose cap is back in place.

49857417782_9dbda2c219_b.jpg
"Every journey begins with the first step"

Won't the Ramrod tip fill that spot?

It won't, unfortunately.

This is the join between the two pieces of the stock with the brass spacer...

49859149891_4cbaeb45cf_b.jpg

When they are tight together, this is what I get at the front end...

49859150016_d79c7420fc_b.jpg

I suspect the original nose cap was longer.

I have a couple of choices. I can re-drill the holes for the nose cap and move it back. This would be a pain, for a couple of reason, and might not work, due to the locations of the existing holes.

I can move the front half of the stock forward and make a wider spacer between the two pieces of the stock, and I may do this. That would require me to re-drill the holes for pinning the stock to the barrel. That's not that big a deal.

I can make a new spacer for the front end, leaving the brass spacer, or changing the brass spacer out for a spacer that matches the front end. This is what I am currently planning, unless someone else has a better idea to suggest.

Or knock a mite off the barrel. What's the muzzle like?
Don't think it is kosher but pour a pewter nosecap?
Or chuck a bit of beech in there?
Or use a different nosecap?
Or Make your own nosecap? Theres a tutorial somewhere maybe here, maybe American Long Rifle, maybe youtube.
Solder or braze (if your game) a bit of brass to the front of the existing nosecap?
Thats all I can think of

Maybe all of the above!

Last edited:
It won't, unfortunately.

This is the join between the two pieces of the stock with the brass spacer...

49859149891_4cbaeb45cf_b.jpg

When they are tight together, this is what I get at the front end...

49859150016_d79c7420fc_b.jpg

I suspect the original nose cap was longer.

I have a couple of choices. I can re-drill the holes for the nose cap and move it back. This would be a pain, for a couple of reason, and might not work, due to the locations of the existing holes.

I can move the front half of the stock forward and make a wider spacer between the two pieces of the stock, and I may do this. That would require me to re-drill the holes for pinning the stock to the barrel. That's not that big a deal.

I can make a new spacer for the front end, leaving the brass spacer, or changing the brass spacer out for a spacer that matches the front end. This is what I am currently planning, unless someone else has a better idea to suggest.
I rescued one like that several years back; I used pop sickle sticks to make a spacer between the stock shoulder and the nose cap. Put it this way, it looked a lot better than gap that was there.

With the nose cap and the front of the stock in place...

49913668727_b4d95f736f_b.jpg

I now have this space in the middle of the stock to fill...

49913371226_3b33171859_b.jpg

This is where I am thinking about a spacer of elk horn. I could also go with a spacer of contrasting wood.

Why not forget about the screws that hold the nosepiece to the barrel and attach it to the stock only? Will have to adjust the barrel lugs and/pinholes in the stock. Could even eliminate the spacer altogether.

Forgive a stupid question, but why bother trying to keep the old brass spacer? Would it be possible to use the old brass spacer as a template, and but a new spacer of suitable width, out of a piece of hardwood? Blend or contrast colors as you prefer?

Forgive a stupid question, but why bother trying to keep the old brass spacer? Would it be possible to use the old brass spacer as a template, and but a new spacer of suitable width, out of a piece of hardwood? Blend or contrast colors as you prefer?

I'm not keeping the brass spacer. It has already been removed.

Back