• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Once More Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statetrooper62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Happy new year everybody.
When I was on duty in Africa ( as MP ) some months ago I picked up several cows horns on the piles of bones of the local slaughterhause.
I tested flattening one horn after putting it in boiling water. Not really a success. Perhaps the walls too thick or not the good method.
However I decided to make something with this horn, something like a poor boy style horn.
A wood plug with simple nails to fixe it, two simple hooks for a lanyard, simple carving.
I didn't know what to do with this horn since I decided to thank a german hunter of my acquaintances who brought me some roe antlers and perhaps he will bring me boar tusks or deer antlers. :bow:
So I carved the horn with wild beasts drawings, the name of the hunter, a sentence "KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY AND YOUR FAITH IN GOD" and a part of a quote of the bible, GENESIS 9.2 :
"English Standard Version (©2001)
The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered."
Perhaps I would add a powder measure made of a branch of bamboo.
CIMG6709_zps705920d9.jpg

CIMG6708_zpsd94ac5c5.jpg

CIMG6707_zps8a140f3a.jpg

CIMG6706_zpsea90611d.jpg

CIMG6705_zps12854d53.jpg

CIMG6703_zpsad53bdac.jpg

CIMG6702_zpsc5152ce7.jpg

CIMG6701_zpsbd7e359a.jpg

What do you thing about this ?
Powder horn engraving was never a french craftsman skill so I found my inspiration in american style.

The horn looks excellent. I think the scrimshaw has a very nice, simple depictive style.If I were you I would pollish the grooves on the front more to take out the rough marks. But I think Werner will like it alot :thumbsup:

i like it!

i'm partial to the 'primitive' engraving style.

By the way- i never could get horns to anything other that what they were doing in the first place by using boiled water ... i've found that hot oil (veggie oil) at 350 to 375 F works much better, but you have to be careful not to 'cook' the horn or it will delaminate.

make good smoke!

Very nice horn. The semi flat style is interesting, I like it. perhaps you will start a trend. Your lettering and engraving in a folk style is nice too. Neither crude as many originals are nor overdone. I hope you can show us #2 soon.

I like it :thumbsup:

The style of engraving is interesting.

Silex

Hi, thanks for all.
For the moment I made engraving only in straight lines, with triangular figures. It is more easier than curved lines.

I like it- nice job. I've been wanting to try my hand at scrimshawing my own horn, and you've inspired me.

Latest posts

Back