• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old time muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter1

40 Cal
Reaction score
New to this forum and haven't made smoke since Mar,2017. Been severely limited by fight with stage 4 cancer/chemo.. Now recovered enough to hope to get active again. Have new 20 ga left hand flint trade gun and underhammer 45 I got at my last competition that need breaking in..Been member of NMLRA since 1971 and am a national range officer and instructor. Still learning like all BP shooters.
Shooter1 in northern AZ

Don't really know yet, but 20 ga smooth bore is new to me and want to shoot round balls. Size ball/patch over about 60-80 gr. ff with ffff in flash pan?

Welcome Shooter, Lots of really good smooth bore shooters around, unfortunately I’m not one of them!

I’ve only had limited experience with them over the past 5 years or so.

Too me there is as much of a transition going from a rifle to a smoothbore as it was going from cap gun to flint!

I’ve tried shooting mine using the tang screw as a rear sight with very limited success .

You will just have too figure out what your particular gun likes, it’s not any different than with a m/l rifle.

If you have a club near you that’s where I would start.

I’ve just joined a local group (100 mile drive - 1 way) that’s is loaded with excellent smooth bore shooters.

I can’t wait too pick their brains(watch & learn), most probably have forgotten more than I’ll ever know...

Good Luck too ya’ keep us posted.

Howdy and welcome,good ta have ya here.Keep up the fight and good luck to ya.NY GRIZ

First welcome and hope 2019 will be a very good year for you. That's a hard battle but god willing things will work out for you. Don't shoot a 20ga. (shoot 16ga.) but some one will tell you the ball size. I use a .10 patch with spit or mink lube behind 60grs of 3F. Cold weather mink lube. Left - Handed trade gun, we are brothers, left hand people rule. As soon as you can go make smoke, it will make you feel good.

Don't really know yet, but 20 ga smooth bore is new to me and want to shoot round balls. Size ball/patch over about 60-80 gr. ff with ffff in flash pan?
My only flint lock i have and use is a 20 smoothbore. I load a .600 ball, drill cloth patch in front of 70 grains of 2ff. This load will shoots really good for me. I have taken a lot of deer for over 20 years. I sight straight down the barrel and hold her steady. It's a blast with #5 shot going after grey squirrels.

Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully, it will do your spirit as much good as you're being here does ours.
I have never shot a smoothbore ML. But, I read so much about them here that it is only a matter of time....

Richard/Grumpa

Back