• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefftx

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a new (to me) rifle and revolver and the seller said he would throw in all the powder. It's been stored in its original cans (about 30 cans), inside an ammo box and is dated from 2004-2005. Any issues? Or should I pass? I haven't seen it in person yet, just a picture.

Real black powder stored in cool & dry conditions can retain its power for well over 100 years. Every so often someone is killed trying to demilitarize a (US) Civil War shell that was loaded with black powder. 30 cans? One pound cans? - sounds like a great deal.

Thank you gentlemen. I don't know the brand or type, but I could always use more powder.

if it's real BP & been stored reasonably well it should be good to go. if it's some of the subs, meh.

"Real beach powder stored in cool & dry conditions can retain its power"

????????????????????????????????????

Spell check strikes again - it inserted "bleach" before I finished typing "black" and I was tired & didn't catch it when posting.

JeffTx said:
...throw in all the powder. It's been stored in its original cans (about 30 cans), inside an ammo box and is dated from 2004-2005. Any issues?

Only issue I can see is that you got to it before I did! :rotf:

I have several cans of black powder dating back to 1971 (date on the can). I kinda hang onto it for sentimentality, but also shoot it over a chronograph once each year just to see what's what. Been doing that for the last 20 years, and it hasn't lost a spec of reliability or velocity.

For that matter I also have cans of Pyrodex RS dating back to the same era when I was doing a lot of shotgunning. A number of them were opened at the time and sat on the shelf over a 20 year break in the shotgunning. I shoot and chrono those each year along with the black, and they too show no deterioration, in spite of our wet climate. The lids are on during storage of course, but so far there's been no clumping.

Grab that powder and smile! And shoot it up with confidence! :thumbsup:

That powder is dangerous, no good and not worth you wasting your time. Just send it to me and I dispose of it safely. :rotf:

Now Hanshi and Jake, play nice.

I purchased the .50 cal rifle and the seller threw in five molds and a bunch of powder.

1 1/2 Goex cartidge powder
3 Goex cowboy powder
3 Swiss 3f
1 Hodgdon 3f
1 Wano 3f
16 Goex 3f
12 Goex 2f
7 Goex 4f

I was scared driving home. It looks like I am set for awhile. Now, if he only had caps.

Even if it was only $10 a can, you have over $400 worth of powder there. And in fact most of it's worth more than that. Live in peace and happiness!

Back