• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Photo Daguerreotype! Guy With Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an answer from the Daguerreotype Society. They are the pro's when it comes to these!

Pat,
It's late 1840s or early 1850s. That is about all that can be told and
that is by the style of mat. I'm assuming you have carefully removed
the image from the case and nothing is behind it (any writing or a
photographer's name). It could be from anywhere in the country (it does
seem to be a U.S. piece)

Definately California Gold Rush. A Klodiker wore different clothes and firearms.

Right and left are usually screwed up in old photos - which is why a lot of folks think that Billy the kid was left handed. So I am going to say left and right as we see the picture.

It is a half stock gun on the left, but from the button tip on the rammer and style of flask (flasks?) I am guessing that it is a smoothbore. He carries a brace of single shot pistols, on on each side. I can't tell if he has holsters, or if the pistols are tucked into the pockets of the guta-percha raincoat.

The powder flask is holding up the flap of the holster for another pistol on the left. From the shape of the butt, and the thickness of the holster, I am guessing it to be a dragoon sized pepperbox.

There is a metal tipped knife sheath along with the carpenter's hatchet. But am not sure about the item on the center fron of the belt. The handle and the sheath look wrong for a knife. Could it be a spyglass?

Is the item in his hand to the right a long gun? To me it looks to be a blade. Perhaps a longknife, bayonet or a short sword?

This is the type of picture that many Argonauts had taken in St Louis or Independence after they had aquired their trappins. Then they sent the pictures back to the states to show their loved ones that they were indeed ready to take care of themselves in the wilds of the west. The clothes seem a bit too new and clean to have been taken out here.

There were a bunch of these photos in an exhibit a few years back. The website is still up at Gold Rush!

Back