• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Photo Daguerreotype! Guy With Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought all would enjoy some vintage stuff!

m197817060013.jpg

Here's one of someone who uses a flintlock as part of his job. Fox Talbot invented the photographic process and took this picture of a gamekeeper :thumbsup:

gamekeeper.jpg

Ahh come on! this is you at Six Flags, right? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :sorry: just had to!

This was taken between 1843-1860, this was the period of the Daguerreotype

I don't know...the stuff just does not look right...could this be a modern fake? There are studios putting out this sort of stuff in tourist traps around the country... :huh:

It is the real deal! This was a very popular way to photograph back then! I believe this sold at auction for a very high price!

What you think he is holding an in-line? :haha:

Had To

He is holding two guns, and even has a pistol belted as well!

This is not Disney Land :haha:

Hmmm, looks like he's headed for the gold fields, but is it California or the Klondike? That coat looks supect to me. :hmm:

i just noticed he has another pistol! That make two long guns, and two pistols! You gotta look close, but they are there!

This is no prop show! Back in the day, many people would bring their own tools and weapons. This way the picture would tell you more about the person. I am sure the backdrop, and planter stand are not his.

A study of vintage photography has documented much of this!

This is no prop show! Back in the day, many people would bring their own tools and weapons.

This one may be real.

My comment about the "props" was based on the fact that there are several photos showing "cowboys" holding the same exact items. There's no doubt that, in these cases, they were props. There are photos showing Indians doing this as well.

I'll see if I can find some of them.

It was a common practice in those days to go to a photography shop where they would have props to take an interesting picture for the family. The Indians did this all the time. I have MANY photos showing differnt tribes using the pipebag, knives, blankets, war or headress, etc.

I do understand the prop situation. Yes they could be props provided! There is really no way to tell for sure. I have requested information from the Daguerreotype Society. Lets see what they come up with?

The raincoat info is very interesting, and correct!

I do know that many liked to show of their stuff as well!

Just noticed another pistol butt on his left, so wher up to three pistols, and two long guns!

This maybe a record!

It's the carpenter's hatchet that has me doubtful--when did that style hatchet become available? I thought they were late 1800s or early 1900s? The rifle looks like it could be a typical late 1840s-1850s plains rifle, wish we could see the lock and butt. The miner's pick is a nice touch and could relate to the 49 rush (or later)...I am surprised that the coat is considered correct, it looks late period as well, but I am no expert on Macintoshes for sure... :peace:

Back