• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old Lorenz question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20224

36 Cal.
Reaction score
We have two old Lorenz muskets that were converted to cap lock. They are in rough shape but the markings on the stocks are intresting and just wondered if anybody had seen the likes. Both are marked on the side of the but with Philadelphia and 1838 and are signed by F.K. Luce???. They also both have 21 notches carved in the bottom of the stock reaching from the butt plate to the rear of the trigger guard. There are also a circles with triangles inside. One has a line with arrow marks running from the circle to anouther carved line of PRA14LGA both might have the same line but the second is too faint to make out. Would love to post pictures but cannot get enough detail to show anything. Also one butt plate is marked with 9691 3G.L.W. 3. C or G. The other is marked 14917(hand stamped) and 1836.

The markings look too uniform to be a kid playing

Tried several times to get a picture but they will not show the detail. If the sun ever comes out again will try some then.

Did some crude sketchs and will see if they will up load. Ok so much for thast will try again when somebody is around who knows what to do. Sorry

When were they made in flint? I never really did any research on this type of gun other than to ID it via pics on this forum I believe. I have a caplock one .54 cal with a bayonet in poor shape from my grandfather using pebbles and horse shooe nail pieces for hunting prarrie chikens circa 1900 i had not seen a flint one before

TG you are right, the Lorenz pattern Austro-Hungarian rifle musket, both M1854 and M1862, were never made in flint, but in his second post cavsgt stated "Ok first correction it would appear to be a Potsdam not Lorenz." If he is correct, he probably has a M1809 Prussian musket that was converted from flint to percussion by the Prussians (or whatever of the Germanic states that used this particular gun) beginning in 1839 and continuing well into the 1840s.

And, unusually, the M1854 Lorenz Rifle Musket is occasionally found in flint. :shocked2: These were guns surplussed by the A-H Empire or others and then converted by the Belgian gun industry during the 1870s for sale in the Belgian African colonies where the native population was not allowed the use of modern arms including percussion guns - they could only own and use flint rifles and muskets. Some of these Lorenzes converted from percussion to flint remained in new condition in warehouses in Belgium until they were purchased by American buyers in the 1950s through the 1970s when huge amounts of surplus guns and parts were auctioned off in bulk and have ended up here and elsewhere.

:redface: Sorry for the confusion on the make. Fairly sure they are Potsdams as the lock on one says F.W. SAARN which was a prussian armoury . One of the but plates is marked 1836 which could put them in the right period to be conversions.

Back