• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old cider mill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought you all might get a kick out of this pile of rusty metal and rotten wood I picked up at an auction the other day. The wife started to get loud when she saw that I paid $15.00 for another truck load of junk....then I explained what it is or rather could be again. Odd thing about it is that it has an extra set of gears and two crank handles. Maybe for two people to run it. It was made in Pittsburg PA. Anyone out there seen a two handled cider mill before? Hope the pictures come through. Bert
DSCF6262.jpg
DSCF6258.jpg

Good project. Get you some white oak and put it back together, and you will have a keeper.

seen one simaler years back but it was for crushing grapes for wine. Take yer time it will become an heirloom some day

actualy one of the 'handles' is the screw for the press that squeezes the juice from the chopped up fruit. you will have to make a sturdy cage for both the mill and press to operate and strong baskets to hold the pulp when they are full and squeeze the jiuce under the press. well familiar with those.

Blizzard of 93 is right, the second screw handle is for the actual press. The press squeezes the apples in a wooden cylinder with spaces between the slats for the juice to flow.
Man I remember those Fall days back in Vermont makin cider and swattin away Yellow Jackets.

Bert I have access to a mill that is complete and functional I'll try to think to post foto of it so you will have an idea for the frame and barrels you will have to make.

Thanks for all the info. and help. And yes I could use pictures of a mill so that I can get this one built correctly. The two baskets or containers that the crushed apples are pressed in are missing and I will need to build them from scratch. I put the mill together a little and figured out the extra gear and handles. Sorry about the junky shop. Both handles move the fly wheel (24 in. dia) at the same speed. It seems that it is designed to be operated by two people cranking. I'll put my two young daughters to work! Any and all info. from you folks is appreciated. Bert
DSCF6283e.jpg
DSCF6280e.jpg
DSCF6276e.jpg

This link might give you some ideas on how to mount the press. I'd build out of a rot resistant wood like white oak or black cherry
cider press

P.S. If you get that thing cleaned up and make a nice press to mount it on you'll a nicer setup than you can buy today :thumbsup:

The wife might be happy if I got rid of it. She just don't see the possibilities. Her comment was, "you are going to finish the kitchen cabinets before you start on that aren't you"...But I have been looking for a basket case like this for 30 yr. Think of the fun we can have picking apples... Bert

Back