• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OK not to clean?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was shooting my percussion rifle today (.54, slow twist Green Mountain barrel). Day after tomorrow I'll be at a shoot. Is it OK to do a provisional cleaning today and then the thorough cleaning after the shoot?

My thought would be to clean out the bore real well with rubbing alcohol, dry patch it, then slather in a bunch of bore butter or olive oil, in the short run. Or should I do the usual water flush etc. to be on the safe side?

Thanks, sse

It probably wouldn't hurt, but if it was my gun I'd clean it now and have it clean to start the shoot. It doesn't take long to flush the barrel, dry it and clean the lock area, etc. I generally plug the vent (or nipple hole)and fill the barrel with tap water and let it sit a couple minutes. Decant then swab it dry with patches, then pour a little Lehigh Valley [or your favorite solvent] in and work up and down with patches until clean. At least make sure your vent or nipple/channel is thoroughly clean before the shoot.

It should be OK in that short time, whipe down the barrel and lock and oil...

The real damage comes from being left in the unclean condition for weeks at a time to years on end...

The day after tomorrow should pose no threat...

Thanks, Mike and Musky. Thing is I like the way its shootin right now and If I could leave it, that suits me fine. I NEVER remove the lock or do nuthin like that, just clean the bore, nipple etc. I'm wondering if I should do that or leave it to somebody who has a screwdriver!!?? ::

Regards, sse

It's always good to look under the lock every once in a while, powder residue will make it's way under there...

An old tooth brush works wonders in places like this for cleaning...

SSE,.... If "she's" shoot'n good, and yore worryed 'bout a possible change in "pressure points" by remove'n tha lock,.... jest take "note" of how the screw slot "lines up now" and the pressure reqiured to unscrew tha lock-bolt.
You can also look at the "end" of the lock-bolt wher it comes thru above the hammer, and remember the "depth" below the surface of the lockplate, or, how much is stick'n out past the lockplate. (too much "deviation from how she looked before removal" and yore probly "1-turn off")

You can do the same thing with the tang-bolt (look wher the tang-bolt comes thru the triggerguard jest in front of the "bow")!!

YMHS
rollingb

rollingb - OK, got that part, but once you take it apart, how do ya get it back together??!!?? :D :: :p ::

Anyways, rollingb, what do YOU think of my orginal question?? :: ::

Shampoo and grooming, or not???!!!???

Regards, sse

P.S. ???!!!???

rollingb - OK, got that part, but once you take it apart, how do ya get it back together??!!?? :D :: :p ::

Anyways, rollingb, what do YOU think of my orginal question?? :: ::

My answer to yore first question, is:.... "I ain't got tha feintest idear"!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

As fer yore 2nd. question:.... I don't see nuthin wrong with wait'n "a day'er so" ta give'er a complete clean'n!! ('course I'm blind, so I don't "see much" of anythin anyway!!) :haha: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

rollingb - OK!! Whew!! That wuz like tryin to pull a carrot outta a mule's mouth!!

Regards, sse

rollingb - OK!! Whew!! That wuz like tryin to pull a carrot outta a mule's mouth!!

Regards, sse

SSE,.... OK!!.. In order ta git'a carrot out of a mule's mouth, first ya gotta have an apple in yore left hand, and with yore right hand grab tha carrot and,........

YMHS
rollingb

Just a reminder if cleaning with alcohol and patches, make sure you are not pushing fouling down to the vent and blocking it,bet you can't guess how I know this-----Yep.! :m2c:

Teach - Funny handle. We all had sumbuddy we used to call "Teach".

I never turned down a reminder yet. I do not swab between shots, maybe after two or three groups or so or maybe after several. Never had a problem with gettin her to blow, could be because it never gets too fouled up, blowing everything outta there like that. But I will be sure and snap a few caps before I charge, just to make sure. :winking:

Thanks, sse

P.S. rollingb, yer one sneaky potlicker.

Most rocky mounting mules I've knowed, don't know what a apple is, and don't care for 'em. They do like carrots though. Why is a mystery for all times, since none grow there. Now you got me missing Boregard, dam you. Sniff, sniff.

Hey Mule - Now ya listen hyar, butttchya probly won't cuz ya don't come to this hyar board 'cept in a coon's age'er so, but in case ya do, don't fret none over no animal that would jus soon knaw on yer ole dade, ferlorn, stinkin bones if'n it had the chance. Them red coons steer clear 'o you crazy mounting folk fer a reason, I reckon.

sse

I hear ya, you ol' snakeoil seller. I'm itchin' to head to ronnyvoos at Friendship next year. Got me a new shirt an' everthin'. Why don't you try an make it down thar? I promise to ply you with good kaintuck likker an' cook up a batch of possum gizzards in yer honor. Anybody know if they still have 'hawk 'n kife throwin' contests thar?

You can clean a front-stuffer real well with just Hoppes #9+ and then some regular #9. Don't have to hassle with the rubber-duckie soap and water treatment.

:imo:

Just a thought.

Rat

You can clean a front-stuffer real well with just Hoppes #9+ and then some regular #9. Don't have to hassle with the rubber-duckie soap and water treatment.

Yeah, but usin store-bought cemikals makes the angels (and fish downstream) cry. Is that what you want to be caught doing when Jesus comes again? :winking:

Yeah, but usin store-bought cemikals makes the angels (and fish downstream) cry. Is that what you want to be caught doing when Jesus comes again? :winking:

Don't talk trash about Hoppes, it got my daddy through World War II!!!! :nono:

Ah thin Hoppes could market thar #9 fer an aftershave lotion. Ah knows a lot o people who wood rathar smell like it than that sissy stuff thar sellin at the drug store! ::

Well with em chemikals you don't wind up with a whole bucket of soapy dirty water to flush downstream...just take you pile of dirty patches and throw em in the wood stove, and save a tree! That's what I do anyhow.

Rat

Back