• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ok, new twist for me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
just won a bp rifle with a 1-28 twist rate in a raffle. i am a patched round ball kind of guy. what type of conical and holy black charge would you suggest. i want to stick with lead and 2 or 3 f real bp. goex is my powder of choice. no plastic or other evil stuff going down my bore, thank you. :grin:

i know its not an underhammer, i'll give it a try!

i will research paper patching. that does interest me as a target shooter. i will also try the hornadys. thanks.

my son uses the lee improved in his .58 with good results. i never though about them with a fast twist. looks like a "soup can"

I may be cornfused but I thought the target mini was the one that looks like a soup can. :idunno: Larry

I have a GM 1/28 twist and it likes the Hornady Great Plains bullets in 385 or 410 grains. I shoot them with 70-90 grains of Goex 2f or 3f. Outstanding accuracy; I have even paper patched some and they work great. I need to foul the barrel using them naked so mostly I paper patch on a swabbed barrel. I know they stay put on the charge with the paper patching.

I have also used up to 80 grains and a tightly patched .495 roundball in these barrels and have very good accuracy. I know many don't believe it but it works for me.

Walks with fire said:
I have a GM 1/28 twist and it likes the Hornady Great Plains bullets in 385 or 410 grains. I shoot them with 70-90 grains of Goex 2f or 3f. Outstanding accuracy; I have even paper patch some and the work great. I need to foul the barrel using them naked so mostly I paper patch on a swabbed barrel. I know they stay put on the charge with the paper patching.

Exactly, thats what started me paper patching. To keep that first shot on top of the powder. :thumbsup:

I even paper patch the short little Hornady PA conicals that I use in my 1/66 twist PA Hunter barrels. They shoot very accurate and stay on the charge; and as an added benefit I doubt I get any lead in the grooves to clean out.

Swampy said:
Ultimate 1 .50 Conicals from Precision bullet in 350gr or 400gr I found to be very accurate.
You know, I had forgotten about those conicals. I bought some a while back to use in my .54 but didn't write down how they shot so I can't remember if they were worth the money or not. If shooting a lead conical I'd want it to have a nice wide front to it like the Keith HP that they offer, seems it would do the trick.
PS- In regards to the OP, in my fast twist barrel (1:32) I have to use close to the maximum charge to get the bullets to group decently, and have settled on 85 grains of 3f Goex. 90 gr.s is max for that 50 cal barrel using conicals.

Your 1/32 twist probably needs a bit more velocity than my 1/28 does. I shoot 80 grains mostly and 70 or 90 still shoot well. I haven't used em on deer yet and really can't see the need for that big of bullet on deer; but I am sure one of these years I will try em out because they are so darned accurate.

Our local Club's BP League Chairman uses a GM 28 twist with the same .50 cal 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls that I use in my Trade Rifle. At 60 or 65 grains of 3Fg it works good up close, but it needs 70+ grains to stabilize and group well at 50+ yards. These days, if I lose a Match, it's to this 28-twist barrel :wink: .

I use 72 grains in my 48-twist Lyman Trade Rifle with the same Maxi and it cuts cards in half sideways and wins competitions. Exceptionally accurate with the use of a pre-lubes wonder-wad under the bullet :wink: .

Launching a bullet or two into a paper target (or a deer) with more than 80 grains of 3Fg is tolerable, but shooting an entire Match of 20 or more rounds with that kind of charge takes a lot out of you IMHO! Ditto for our 52 round COF for our Qualification Matches.

Dave

Back