• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oil tan leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevythunderman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where doe's everyone get there oil tan leather from to make possibles bags and such. I've bought some from Kentucky leather and hide and bought some from uncle George on facebook but really looking to see what everyone else is getting theirs from and what the going rate is for oil tan cowsides. I like to use 5-6 oz weight.

I got some a couple of times from here:
distant drumsonline.com

Excellent products - all kinds of leather including brain tanned, very responsive, good customer service, fast shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another source I have used is theleatherguyofMN. That's his company name and I believe he sells only on etsy and eBay. I haven't found a web page for him.

The leather guy does have a website. Its www.theleatherguy.org I think. His prices aren't too bad. Check out www.Kentuckyleatherandhides.com. They have some great prices on their oil tan stuff. They go to some rendezvous and they are super good to deal with. Just checking to see if there is anything out there bigger and better and most of all cheaper!!

Anytime! If I find any other supplier in my quest for the best/cheapest leather supplier I'll let you know!

Tandy often runs their Kodiak oil tanned leather 50% off. Great leather! I love it so much that it takes a few days for me to nerve up and cut it.

I just looked at the tandy website and after comparing to Kentucky leather and hide even at 50% off they would still be higher than Kentucky
leather and hide. Its starting to look like they may be the best deal out there so far...Gonna keep looking though!

Travis B said:
I just looked at the tandy website and after comparing to Kentucky leather and hide even at 50% off they would still be higher than Kentucky
leather and hide. Its starting to look like they may be the best deal out there so far...Gonna keep looking though!

Kentucky Leather Oil Tan hides come in 5-6 oz, which might be a bit too thick for shot pouches, though they may have thinner hides.

Tandy's Kodiak is 4-5 oz which is thinner and perhaps better for shot pouches, though many people use 3-4 oz Veg Tanned hides for that.

So price is not your only consideration, you also have to keep in mind the thickness for what you want to use the leather for.

Gus

I've used a lot of the Kodiak, and it's nice. But I actually prefer their Stoned Oil Sides.

In our wet climate, it holds up better than all other leathers. It has a smoother finish; it's a little stiffer and keeps its shape better in bags; it seems to work better than Kodiak for straps and lots of small objects; and, it sews beautifully.

It scrapes easily in brush, but if you don't like the "used" look, just rub it briefly with your hand or a cloth and the scrape is gone.

As a side note, I make lots of other things for wet climates with it: Fishing bags, camera bags, tripod straps and more.

Oh, have to admit I was a little leery of using Oil tanned hides for HC/PC items, but there is plenty of precedence for hides that were "Stuffed" (as they called it) with oils and even waxes, that came that way from the Tanners in the 18th century.

Gus

Travis... they have full hides. The last one I bought was maybe 40 sq and I paid $90. There is a lesser oz hide, but I don't recall what it's called. Me personally, I won't buy leather I can't handle in person, unless someone I know is shopping for me.

Artificer said:
Oh, have to admit I was a little leery of using Oil tanned hides for HC/PC items, but there is plenty of precedence for hides that were "Stuffed" (as they called it) with oils and even waxes, that came that way from the Tanners in the 18th century.
And, isn't it true that they are not actually "tanned" using oil, but rather the oil is a treatment that is added later to some leather?

Claude said:
Artificer said:
And, isn't it true that they are not actually "tanned" using oil, but rather the oil is a treatment that is added later to some leather?

Claude,

It all depends. In both the period and today, true Chamois Leather was/is tanned in oil. It has also been said that brain tanning is an oil tanning, before it gets additionally smoked after tanning.

Period leather was usually Veg/Bark Tanned and some of that leather was "stuffed" with waxes and oils both for some added pliability after the tanning process and mainly for protection against the elements for outdoor use - as in some bridle and harness leather.

Modern Oil Tan leather can be either Veg Tanned or Chrome tanned and then stuffed with oils and or waxes and yes, that stuffing is also done after the leather is tanned.

Chrome tanned leather is not period correct as the only period mineral tanning was done with Alum (called Tawing or Tawed Leather in the period). This gave a soft whitish leather that was primarily used for book binding. The problem for us today is that much, if not most leather is chrome tanned. It is used for everything from shoes to garments. Unless it is dyed completely through, you can usually detect Chrome Tanning by cutting and looking for the characteristic light grey blue color that the chromium sulphate imparts to the leather. The leather can be quite soft and stretchy.

The one "bad thing" about many Oil Tanned leathers is that when you cut through it, the edges resist dyeing because of the oils/waxes in the leather. For the most part in the period, they didn't worry about that and used it the way it was. Some folks today find this objectionable. I have used another "Non Period" Product called Fiebing's "Edge Kote" in either brown or black to color the edges when folks expect/want it done. I mainly use it to colour the edges, not as a full dressing. However, it does not "cover color" the "gray blue" interior color found on much Chrome Tanned Leather.
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/fiebing-s-edge-kote

Actually, I believe it best to ask each supplier of "Oil Tan Leather" how it was tanned and especially if the blue gray color comes out when it is cut, which you don't want.

Gus

Back