• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh the disadvantages of a UH muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haroldpotter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
(1) If you carry the gun with the nipple out you will lose your powder.
In Michigan a charged muzzleloader can be transported with the cap off. While walking towards my truck I tried to uncap my gun but the cap was stuck too tight so I took the nipple out. At the next hunting spot, after not seeing anything to shoot at, I decided to unload by shooting. After firing three caps I thought it was a dead charge. On the way home I came up with the plan to loosen and get out enough powder to put in enough fresh to fire out the ball. After running the pick in and bending it towards the ball I found that there was no powder in there at all so with a small funnel I filled the bore with powder, reinstalled the nipple, tapped the ball with the ramrod, and fired it like normal.
Of course the advantage of the underhammer is that you can pour powder directly through the nipple hole into the bore without working it around a corner.
(2) Cleaning jag and patch can hang up on nipple.
My cleaning rod was hanging up at the bottom of the barrel and I thought that there was a build up of fowling in the powder area. None of the gun shops in my area had a fowling scrapper so I had my dealer order one. After waiting for a week for the scrapper to come in I ran it down the barrel with the nipple removed. To my surprise I could see the scrapper turning around and, no fowling.
Of course the advantage of this design is that the nipple protrudes into the powder charge producing a more efficient ignition, as good as an inl--e
(3) Shoots four inch groups.
No matter how hard I try 4” 10 shot groups at 100yds are about it, sometimes 5“. Same with 3f bp of a sub.
Of course I know that my 7MM deer rifle wouldn”˜t do any better if it only had open sights and with my old eyes.
(4) Some say they are ugly.
Of course that's what was said about Studebacker cars in the 1950s.
This rifle has hung on my wall for about 10 years and I am just now starting to enjoy the disadvantages of it.

Sounds like you need a new nipple. I've had success with those short t/c nipples. It does not protrude through the barrel to handgup the jag. Also the cap can be removed with the help of a small tool like the ones they sell for this situation. As far as accuracy that will vary depending on the barrel, recipe and shooter. Sometimes I've discovered that my lousy clusters are a result of the jerk behind the trigger. :rotf:

Ya try and buy a 53 Stu now !! :rotf: I always just put a roll up wad of paper towel in between hammer and cap with hammer down in 30 yrs never had one go off. Fred :hatsoff: (with a scope on any of my 9 uh's they should all shoot under 3" at 100 yds ,,,well not the 62/20g smoothbore. and I dont know about the nipple being inside the bore I do my best to have it right in line with the land or grove.

Sometimes it's the jerk on the trigger...

If the nipple is too long why not put it in a vise and shorten the threaded end with a file.

Underhammers are great. Love the short flash time. Almost as fast as a flinter :)

GC

the only disadvantage with underhammers is not being able to have one of each. (at this time :wink: )

my heritage has a small steel spacer on the nipple to prevent the nipple from extending too far into the barrel. was this factory? i know the threading was unique to the h&a nipples, 1/4-32, i recall. last time at the log cabin i bought 6 ampco nipples. that should last me a long time.

still need to add a factory .58 to my meager collection. keeping my eyes peeled at gunshows. amazing how you can spot the underhammers on a full table. wk1

underhammers forever!

Percussion arms should NEVER be assumed to be safe simply because the cap is removed.
If ANY priming compound is left in the nipple simply setting the hammer down on the nipple or the hammer face being moved on the nipple can cause a discharge."Lined" caps reduce this possibility but do not eliminate it. The compound is very sensitive to impact or friction.
In the past some have thought that uncapped guns firing was the result of a static charge. However, testing has shown that static will not ignite BP. High powered static charges will actually move the grains without igniting them.
People have been shot by uncapped percussion guns so if I need to uncap one I simply shoot the thing.
Prying tight caps off is dangerous as well and may result in the compound being broken up and left on the nipple if the prying, cutting etc does not fire the cap.

Dan

Sounds like you are having fun. Most of the H&As that I have seen have a small washer on the nipple.I don't like this idea and I don't use it on the ones I build. This is the first time I heard of someone taking the nipple out because the cap was hard to get off, a pocket knife will take a cap off easy. Lucky for you that the required meds for your problem is more time on the range. When you get to the point where you can load, cap and be ready to shoot without taking your eyes off the deer standing in the brush with no mistakes, then your there.

When I was a kid, well younger anyhow, I had three '53 Stude's. At the same time. Parts, ya know.
Anyone know of Challanger Mfg.? A fella said that he got his .36 UH from them. Woodbutcher

"was this factory" if ya mean the little cup around it Yes. Fred :hatsoff:

Woodbutcher said:
When I was a kid, well younger anyhow, I had three '53 Stude's. At the same time. Parts, ya know.
Anyone know of Challanger Mfg.? A fella said that he got his .36 UH from them. Woodbutcher
I'll bet none of them Studs was a Speedster. :wink:

I've not had a reason to pull the nipple on my Buggy Rifle, but I did get a half dozen of those Ampro nipples. :v

I've got a Heritage in 45 by "Challenger". Still not sure of the history of that manufacturer. I believe the are or were located in one of the Carolinas.

Be sure the UH guys here will let ya know if something omes up, it's kind of like the Mowrey rifle a few different makers but then someone would buy some and change some stuff on them and give it another name, maybe thats whats going on with yours. Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back