• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh dear, this is not MY Canada......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
School lock-down for replica matchlock musket..............................................

Vintage rifle for teacher's presentation prompts police lockdown at Vancouver school​

Police say they don't believe teacher at Lord Byng Secondary had criminal intent​

The Canadian Press · Posted: Dec 21, 2023 4:09 PM EST | Last Updated: December 21
A large brick school

Lord Byng Secondary School was under lockdown on Thursday morning after a staff member reported seeing a man with a gun. (Vancouver School Board)

A prop for a teacher's presentation at a Vancouver secondary school set off a lockdown and an emergency response by police on Thursday.
Police say a teacher at Lord Byng Secondary called 911 to report a man carrying a rifle into the school, and the emergency response team was dispatched and the school locked down while police searched for a suspect.
During the search, officers found a staff member who confirmed they had a vintage rifle that was to be used in a class presentation.
Police shared a photo of an officer in tactical gear in a classroom, holding up what appeared to be a musket about two metres long.
An official in a bulletproof vest who has his face blurred is holding a vintage-looking rifle inside a classroom.

The vintage rifle, held by police in this photo, belongs to a staff member at the school, officials confirm. (Submitted by Vancouver Police Department)
Based on the initial investigation, police say they don't believe the staff member had any criminal intent.
Const. Jason Doucette says the report allowed them to put their training into action quickly to resolve the issue.
In a letter to parents, principal Damian Wilman said neighbouring schools Jules Quesnel and Queen Elizabeth were also locked down due to their proximity to Lord Byng.
He said no one was harmed during the incident, adding that school and district counsellors are available for anyone in distress as a result of the lockdown.

It's not Red Green's Canada anymore either :( Too bad he's still not on the air anymore, there's potential for humor here with that piece of pipe on a plank the cops holding. Can't imagine being educated enough to be a teacher but never being presented enough history to recognize a centuries old archaic weapon so when you see you one you don't flip out. YMMV

I have a newspaper clip of a 6th grade school play that has me as Robert E. Lee surrendering a real Confederate sword to another student (General Grant) with another student standing at attention holding a trapdoor Springfield ( what can I say? Our prop department did the best they could) this was about 1962. Aahhhh, the good old days!!

There are schools in the US that have replaced rifles with wooden rifle cut-outs then straight 2x4 for the rifle squad that throw and “twirl” them either in band or rotc drill.

There are schools in the US that have replaced rifles with wooden rifle cut-outs then straight 2x4 for the rifle squad that throw and “twirl” them either in band or rotc drill.
One school rotc commander even offered spare parts from the real guns to those who needed them before turning them in.
Does anyone remember the scene in Animal House where the cadet loads his weapon with live rounds ?

There are quite a few schools in the USA with a total zero tolerance for anything even resembling a gun. Many schools banned ROTC as well as recruiters from their campuses as well. They expel students for even having pictures or drawings of guns too. I remember one student got expelled for making a pistol hand gesture once at school as well. I would be arrested for trespassing if I wear a Black Rifle Coffee hoodie to a PTA meeting. Just the words trigger some people not just pictures of guns. Of course if I did that I would wind up on the FBI s—- list too.

There are quite a few schools in the USA with a total zero tolerance for anything even resembling a gun. Many schools banned ROTC as well as recruiters from their campuses as well. They expel students for even having pictures or drawings of guns too. I remember one student got expelled for making a pistol hand gesture once at school as well. I would be arrested for trespassing if I wear a Black Rifle Coffee hoodie to a PTA meeting. Just the words trigger some people not just pictures of guns. Of course if I did that I would wind up on the FBI s—- list too.
Even in georgia. Kid got suspended for using a glock logo pen his father, a police detective, gave him to do his homework with. He took it to school. It is a symbol of.......fill in the blank......dad went in his uniform, got the suspension cut in half.

Canadians had some damned foolish things pushed on them the past few years. I used to go up to Canada frequently for competition, and some excellent varmint shooting. I never had a bit of trouble crossing the border at the local crossing, and never had my guns checked coming or going. I finally went and got a PAL license to make it so I could buy guns at the gun shows, and take my cartridge rifles across with less paperwork.
One weekend a few of us went up to a farm by Carmengay, Alberta, and killed over 1500 ground squirrels. Didn't even put a dent in the population, you could stand in one place and shoot all day at ranges from the tips of your toes, to as far as your rifle would reach. I don't know if they still do it, but the farmers around Carmengay and High River used to supply you with all the .22 ammo you wanted if you would shoot the varmints.
We used our flintlocks until our hands were too sore to load anymore, then went to .22's and center fires. I miss doing that, but it is just too much of a hassle to try and keep up with Canadian regulations now.

Wife was history teacher in High School for 40 years. Our minister taught college level history, was a reserve police officer and was a CW reenactor. Once a year he would bring several uniforms, CW rifles and pistols, flags, etc. to her room for a class. Always with the admins approval and prior notification. It was a great time for the students and I sat in on a couple of them. All this in rural Indiana.

The last year she was teaching she arranged to do the same. I was working as a teacher in the In School Suspension class, kids who got in trouble. I loved working with them to get some assignments done they were behind on. I was one of the 7 who carried a radio inside the school. On the day the minister was scheduled for some reason he came to the door by the cafeteria not the front door of the school where he was expected. I heard the call on the radio from the cafeteria manager of "Man with a gun!". The next ten seconds were intense until the principal notified everyone it was OK. My room was near the cafeteria so I hurried down and was met by the SRO and other staff who knew what was going on.

Have fun reminding him of this occasionally.

Don

Latest posts

Back