• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd Finding on an Idle Afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had two double guns here by my desk and, in an idle moment, put them on the desk and examined them. One is a Pietta percussion lock 12GA sxs. The other is a Fox unmentionable sxs. The Pietta is well made and awkward. I do not like mounting it and swinging it. It feels as though it weighs 12 pounds. The Fox mounts and swings easily. Feels light.
To my great surprise the Pietta weighs 7.25 pounds. Only 4 ounces heavier than the Fox.
But the Pietta feels as if all of the weight of the gun is in the barrels. The barrel walls are surprisingly thick and the balance point is at the front end of the fore end. The Fox balances at the hinge pin and swings and points like my forefinger.
Final conclusion? The Pietta was built as a punt gun. The Fox as a game gun.
Would love Britsmoothy to weigh in.

The A.H. Fox guns were great guns. They have a very interesting history.
The current guns made near me in New Britain, CT. are absolutely beautiful and balance and handle exceptionally well.
I'd love to find a comparable muzzleloading double that I could afford.

The A.H. Fox guns were great guns. They have a very interesting history.
The current guns made near me in New Britain, CT. are absolutely beautiful and balance and handle exceptionally well.
I'd love to find a comparable muzzleloading double that I could afford.
Begs the question: Is there a comparable muzzleloading double?

Of course there are comparable muzzleloading double barrel shotguns. But you will probably have to build it.

I'm afraid that Pietta has been got at! Similar to how Pedersoli were got at!
Lawyers!
Some dang lawyer put the wind up reproduction producers so much they acting from fear thickened the barrels so they could sleep at night for fear of a claim being made against them should some fool harm himself.

If ever you find a 70's made Pedersoli it will feel close to your fox or better at just 6lbb.

Back