• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Octagon to round or swamped smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm about to order a barrel for my blank, I was wondering what would be more appropriate or historically accurate for an early southern Virginia smooth rifle, an octagon to round or a swamped smoothbore?

The definition of a smooth rifle is a rifle with no rifling. I think they should look like rifles even though the bore is smooth. That being said, most rifles were octagon barrels and most trade guns, military muskets, fowling guns, etc. were octagon to round or round. You'll notice I said "most". There are always exceptions to the rules.

I have a book published by The Kentucky Rifle Association in 1967 which shows pictures and gives a brief description of 100 Kentucky rifles, Of the 100, 20 are single-barrel smoothbores. Of the 20, 3 are octagon-to-round, 17 plain octagon. Only one rifle of the 100 has any description which might make you think it was swamped, it is described as octagon, "flared". One other smooth barrel is on a swivel-breech rifle with one smooth and one rifled barrel, both octagon.

All those described as smoothbore are flintlocks.

Spence

I don't know of any original early or late flintlock Virginia smooth rifles. Smooth rifles were predominantly made in Lehigh, Bucks, and Berks counties in Pennsylvania. Can anyone point me to an original smooth rifle from Virginia?

Also cannot recall a flintlock rifle from Virginia with an octagon to round barrel. So if I wanted to make an early Virginia "rifle" but have it be a snoothbore I'd choose a swamped octagonal barrel and brass furniture of course unless replicating one of the early "black rifles". Look up "old Holston rifle" for more on that. Ian Pratt made an elegant "black rifle" patterned after the old Holston rifle.

Excellent points.

I am told, albeit anecdotal information as I could not get hard numbers, that in several collections of early flintlock rifles, from the AWI and after..., curators and conservators are finding a few of the "rifled" pieces in their collections are actually grooved barrels without twist. It seems that in earlier works of the 60's and 70's, museum catalogs and reference works, that the documentation observed the muzzles, saw what looked like rifling, and simply didn't go further in the investigation..., so didn't determine twist rate nor if it was a standard or progressive "gain" twist.., so nobody knew.

So..., while the rifles may not be "smooth" in some cases we may have "grooved" barrels and not rifles.

Not to confuse things..., sorry...., but a smooth, swamped barrel would probably be the best option for the OP's project (imho).

LD

Rich Pierce said:
Also cannot recall a flintlock rifle from Virginia with an octagon to round barrel. So if I wanted to make an early Virginia "rifle" but have it be a snoothbore I'd choose a swamped octagonal barrel and brass furniture of course unless replicating one of the early "black rifles". Look up "old Holston rifle" for more on that. Ian Pratt made an elegant "black rifle" patterned after the old Holston rifle.

Rich,

Maybe 5 or so years ago I visited the Valley Forge NPS. In their Information/Tourist Center, they have a somewhat small but very nice museum of Revolutionary War Items. In the tall case against the wall where they have a number of “Revolutionary Rifles” on display, the very bottom rifle was described as a “Virginia Rifle.” I got with their Head Curator of Arms and he could tell me nothing as to who made the rifle and there was nothing listed as to a signed name, barrel markings, etc., etc. The Head Curator had no idea why it was listed as a “Virginia Rifle,” but it was. Oh, some folks include Rifles used in the Revolution as “Early Rifles” and some folks don’t, so I’m not sure if this fits the OP’s question or not. OK, I think I have all the caveats listed before I describe the rifle from memory and I had to lay on the floor to get the best look at it I could.

The Rifle really surprised me for having been made in Virginia before or during the AWI. It had an octagon to round barrel that seemed tapered and flared. The flare was barely noticeable at the muzzle even through the glass of the display case. The barrel was held to the stock by I think four wedges, though it may have been only three. That surprised me even more than the Octagon to Round barrel, though was in keeping with at least a somewhat higher quality rifle than one would normally expect. The stock was curly maple with a good amount of figure in it. There was some tasteful looking carving, but I could not see the top of the rifle to describe the carving around the tang. It had a brass patchbox with some engraving and the other furniture was brass. The right side of the rifle was only visible, so I have no idea what the side plate looked like and the Curator had no pictures of the rifle on file. Looking at the rifle, it really seemed it was a higher cost rifle UNTIL you saw the lock, which really looked out of place.

The lock was what I would describe as a much earlier “Dutch,” Belgium or perhaps French Flintlock and by the size of it, it may have originally come from a pistol. It had the earlier very noticeable “teat” at the rear of the lock plate and the bottom of the lock plate was arched. When I noticed the lock, the first thing I thought was, “What is such a crappy looking lock doing on an otherwise more expensive than normal rifle?” The answer to that question may be as simple as it was the only Lock the gunsmith had on hand or the customer could supply to make the rifle during the AWI when no more locks were coming from England and it was even more difficult to get them from the European Continent.

I looked at RCA Shumway and the rifle is not listed in the Southern Arms section. Then I remembered that many, if not most AWI original items on display at Valley Forge came from the Neuman collection. It was not listed in his Collector’s Encyclopedia of the American Revolution. I also have a copy of his “Weapons of the American Revolution,” but the illustrations are too small for me to see until I get my eye fixed.

I was privileged to hold in my hands and examine one original PA smooth rifle that was in private hands in Marion Center, PA not far from Puxatawney where the Ground Hog is viewed each year to see if winter will last longer. However, I do not know if it was ALWAYS a smooth rifle, because it had been professionally converted to Percussion and the job was done so well, the percussion hammer perfectly matched the style of the lock. The lock was a round faced German lock and the threaded hole for the frizzen spring screw had been plugged and there was only the faintest impression where it had been filed to the surface of the lockplate. The conversion to percussion was of the bolster type and it was beautifully blended in style to the Rifle and to the lockplate. You had to look at it VERY closely to see the faint impression of where the bottom of the priming pan had been, but it looked more like a curved/engraved line under the bolster on the lock plate.

There was no doubt it had been at least a smooth rifle in its early life, as it had the correct period front and rear sights. It also had a very nice wood patchbox. It had the wide Brass buttplate and trigger guard one would expect on a Pre AWI rifle, though as I recall the only carving was a little incised carving. The stock and patch box cover were so dark it was very difficult to tell what wood it was, but it seemed to have been Maple, though it was too dark to see any figure or curl. The barrel was swamped and sure enough that was ONE day I did not have my pocket brass bore gauge on me, but it appeared to be around .58 to .60 caliber, purely by eyeball guess. Even though I have “Orangutan” length arms, it felt very good even if a bit short for me. There was also what appeared to be an 18th century fowler with it, but the bore was so small, the barrel almost paper thin at the muzzle and it was heavily coated in rust; I did not look at it more than to be polite. It was the rifle I was interested in so I looked at it as long as I could.

Both guns belonged to my Mother in Law’s Father, but they were not family pieces. He had purchased them at a barn sale or local auction years before and he had no other information on it. Unfortunately, I was transferred to the West Coast for a number of years, so I never got a chance to see it again to take more notes and measurements. Oh, but what treat it was to see and handle it!!!

Gus

I've had the opportunity to view and fondle a number of octagon-round barreled "rifles" over the years. Those that I recall were all from Pennsylvania, and some were rifled. My father owned at least 3, and 2 of them were rifled albeit one straight grooved and the other twisted. IIRC, the "late one" was flint with a single lock bolt and rifled made near Reading, Berks County. Another, also flint, was made near Waynesboro, Pa, so would be Franklin County by John Noll(?) also rifled, and the 3rd another Franklin County (Chambersburg) flintlock by Abraham Schweitzer (also a Lancaster 'smith) but smooth. All had rifle attributes (sights, patchbox, rifle guard and buttplate) as well as thicker muzzles than would be seen on fowlers.

I thought that Gus might have a better idea as to "Southern Virginia" guns than most. It doesn't sound like he's aware of any. Bethabara was established in 1753 and isn't too far south of the Virginia border, but I would expect rifles from that locale to be similar to what was produced in Christian Springs since at least some of the 'smiths migrated down the wagon road.

We know that barrels were "freshed out" as needed, so its also possible that some of the thick muzzled specimens now seen as smooth were originally rifled. Too, as Gus alluded to, parts were re-used, so what is seen today isn't necessarily as it was originally. I saw an "Abraham Scheitzer" over this past weekend at the Baltimore Antique Gun show. The barrel may have had his signature, patchbox, buttplate, lock, and triggerguard might have been correct, but there is no way that he stocked that gun. It looked like it was chopped out with a dull hatchet.

OK, a little more on that Smooth Rifle I fondled in PA. It may have originally been a rifle and maybe not. The reason I write this was because there was plenty of “meat” in the barrel muzzle when I saw it as a smoothbore. I think maybe the best way to explain it is if it was originally rifled, they did not take out much more additional metal in the barrel to bore it smooth. What may have happened was it was a rifle and by the time it was converted to percussion, the barrel may have only needed “freshening out” on the lands, the owner did not need a rifle and they just reamed it smooth. It is also entirely possible it was always a smooth bore. There was just no way of knowing.

I am not as good as Dave Person, Rich Pierce and some others on this forum, about Pre Revolutionary War Virginia Rifles.

I am not entirely sure the “Virginia Rifle” I saw in the Valley Forge NPS museum was in fact a Pre AWI or AWI rifle. I mentioned it primarily because it is the only octagon to round barrel VA rifle I know of that may be as early as the AWI. The general style of the rifle could have been AWI, but the octagon to round barrel and the wedges instead of barrel pins could mean a slightly later rifle. I have no way of checking this out, because the Curator could not tell me more and of course he wasn’t going to take the rifle out of the display case for me to see it, but I sort of suspect the rifle was called a Virginia Rifle due to the general style and further as an AWI period rifle because of the much earlier lock. I can’t remember the somewhat common modern term, but perhaps someone dated it to the AWI because it was a “composite” rifle with a lock that just did not match the rest of the rifle and such rifles and guns were thrown together with whatever parts were available in the AWI?

Gus

It's usually hard to determine if an original rifle-built gun (rifle style guard and plenty of meat in barrel thickness at the muzzle) which is now smooth in bore was originally made that way. These are some clues I use to try to guess:

Double set triggers? It was a rifle. Single trigger? Can't tell.

No patch box? Leans toward originally a smooth rifle. Patchbox? Can't tell.

Rounded toe of buttplate? Very strongly leans toward originally a smooth rifle. Square flat toe? Can't tell.

Octagon to round barrel? Likely a smooth rifle but not certain. Octagonal? Can't tell.

Made in Bucks County PA? Likely a smooth rifle. Berks or Northampton Counties (PA)? 50:50 after considering these other signs.

Made in Virginia? Very likely a rifle.

Southern mountain style? Almost certainly originally a rifle.

However for today's shooter or reenactor, one can build as suits their needs. #19 in Rifles of Colonial America book by ShumwY was 95% likely a smooth rifle originally. But I built mine with an octagon to round rifled barrel in .54 because I needed a rifle good to 80 yards for deer. One can also choose to copy an original that was a rifle and use a smooth bored barrel if it fits your needs. Nobody needs to be looking down your muzzle anyway.

for what its worth I had a smooth rifle with a swamped barrel. I actually didnt like it. It was very heavy in the front, my new smooth rifle is tapered and it points , shoulders like a dream. I suppose it really depends on its use. If your going to hunt deer id say a swamped barrel is fine....but about useless for birds other than turkey. even squirrel hunting i found it quite clumsy. really the choice is yours i suppose

Back