• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
How often if ever was oak used to make gun stocks, ball blocks...etc?
I picked up a nice red oak board today to make ball blocks and stuff.
Is it a proper hardwood to use?
HD

IMO oak would make good ball blocks, gun cases etc but it has many things working against it making a good gunstock.

I know English gunmakers used it in the late percussion/early cartridge at times for very large caliber guns on occasion due to the strength and weight for heavy recoiling calibers. I have seen a few pictures, most are very straight grain

I've used it for ball blocks and really like it, but be careful about drilling the holes too close. For some reason it's pretty easy for wood to pop out along the grain between the holes. Not an issue if the holes are more than three quarters of an inch apart, but I had a real mess on my hands when I made a small caliber block with holes closer.

Huntin Dawg said:
How often if ever was oak used to make gun stocks, ball blocks...etc?
I picked up a nice red oak board today to make ball blocks and stuff.
Is it a proper hardwood to use?
HD

For things like Ball Boards Oak is OK, but he main problem using Oak is the open grain and weight factor. Hard Maple works alot better and you can get an endless supply free from old pallets. I even come across pallets that have curly Maple boards used in them from time to time!
:hmm:

I used it...it is heavy, but looks good with about 10 coats of tru-oil.
IMG_0653.jpg

BTW...it is also cheap (this piece of wood was dunnage from a 2x12 pallet beam)

Back