• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Numrich Arms Muniteman 45 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsumpter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a 45 cal percusion rifle at a local pawn shop. The only markings on it is Numrich Muniteman 45 Cal. Can anyone give me information on this maker and where i can find replacement parts?

They were marketed through Hopkins and Allen many moons ago . Gun Parts Corp.(Numrich) may have some parts .

I had one in 45 and another in 36 , both were good shooters !

I believe the Minuteman was the only sidelock, full stocked rifle made by Numrich, all others being underhammer style rifles.

A Shooter's Bible Publication BLACK POWDER GUIDE 1969, by Major George Nonte says of it:

"MINUTEMAN: A traditional style pinned-barrel flintlock Kentucky rifle but not an exact copy of any make. Barrel is 39" long, 15/16 across the flats, available in .36 or .45 caliber with uniform or gain twist. Silver blade front sight, low notched rear. Maple full stock with brass buttplate, patch box, and furniture. Weight in .36 caliber 9 1/2 lbs., .45 caliber, 9 lbs.

The Minuteman is also available in percussion lock form, all other specifications remaining the same. Interestingly, this gun uses the Minuteman Flintlock converted to percussion, just as it was done many years ago."

I'd like to hear more about them. I had one in flint lock mode that I bought in the late '60s. It was .45 and seemed to be quite well made; at least I never had a problem with it and it was accurate.

Foolishly I sold it before the end of the '70s and have regretted it ever since. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with the flintlock (past or present). How did they compare?

I own one that I bought last year - another Forum member knew of it and pointed me towards it.First thing that you need to know is that mine - and one that I owned in the '70s that this one replaces - are actually .44 caliber, not .45 as they are nominally called.

It came as a flinter. I had an old percussion lock left over from the previous rifle (I keep everything) so I drilled out the vent,installed a drum and nipple for percussion shooting and made a vent liner of the proper thread for when I want to use it as a flinter.

Here's where I get to your question - the two locks, although having the same plate dimensions, are entirely different internally. In addition, one is marked "Made In Spain, the other "Italy". So buying parts for the lock could be a bit chancy. I would post photos of the two locks but my computer skills are severely limited to two-fingered typing. Sorry. And you didn't say just what parts that you're looking for but I wanted you to know that lock parts will require some caution on your part to make sure that you get what you need.

My current rifle - like the first one - is very accurate. I use a .433 ball and 55 grains of 3F Goex for paper punching. Good luck and have fun,

sneezy

I have a .45 Kentucky made by H&A, made in Spain that I got parts from Numrich Arms. Mine is a cap,with two piece stock like a CVA Kentucky. Dilly

" and one that I owned in the '70s that this one replaces - are actually .44 caliber, not .45 as they are nominally called."

Several makers had .44 guns, after a while many went to .45 I suspected it was due to many .45 min. cal. requirements in a lot of states for deer hunting.

Numrich Arms recommended the .433 ball but I used a .440 that was snug but workable. My H&A underhammer was also closer to a .44 that a true .45 and I used the same ball. I still have the underhammer and it is still phenomenally accurate.

If you don't mind my asking what did ya pay for your new toy ? A couple a years back I found a heritage model in 45 cal it is in very good shape and is a tack driver, I found it in an antique shop for 125.00 an just could not pass it up,

I found it in a pawn shop and traded a case knife valued at $25.00. It is a percusion and i would like to convert it over to flintlock. i went to the numrich gun parts website but they were sold out. are there any other parts suppliers anyone could recomend?

H&A went through several transitions . My 45 took a .445 ball with .015 muslin patch or a .440 with mattress ticking .
Both the 36 and 45 were Numrich barrels . Good shooting guns !

I have one that I purchased as a kit while on vacation from Dixie gun works in the eairly seventies.Mine came with a rock lock but it was of poor quality and I made a drum and converted it to caps.I think mine is a .32 caliber and it has accounted for many fox squirrels over the years.

Here is a photo of my 45 caliber minuteman rifle.
45calminuteman.jpg
HPIM2357.jpg

I own one of these.....flinter in 45 caliber....made from a kit. Bought it from the man who made it, but he couldn't remember when he made it....does anyone know when the last year they offered em was??? btw shoots better than I can!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my ramrod thimbles fell off my Minuteman. Turns out they were glued on! Scraped off old glue, roughed up my brass, made a few gouges in the wood inlet, and JB Welded it back in place. No problem since then.

My minute man is a half stock. I'm assuming the previous owner did this. Lock is simply marked warranted. The barrel though is 32 inches with no markings. Cut down from original? Muzzle is decorated with dimples barrel has folding rear sight and fixed front sight. Handles great and shoots pretty well.

Attachments

• 20231028_140635.jpg
    20231028_140635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230206_150226.jpg
    20230206_150226.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back