• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not swamped but

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Pecatonica.
I didn't know they could do this. Was curious how many of you would like thus. A southern mnt 32 cal.with a 3/4barrel with 3/4of the length milled down so it would be octagon to round and super lite.
Front sight would be solder on of course.
Typing this makes me think just go with A weight swamped southern mnt 32 cal.
42 in.

Last edited:
Swamped though it will balance octagon to should be lighter and better balance. Rounding takes the weight off the end. If I thought I needed some I'd use a solid brass ram rod closest size useable for the caliber and required weight.
I'd take a 32 as light as I could find. It's not that needed for the caliber.

Last edited:
A solder on sight doesn't worry me at all. If it was a rifled barrel I would go swamped, I want some hanging weight on the end for offhand or shooting off sticks. It makes the sight wobble slower and the rifle in general more stable, in my opinion. If it was a big rifle, like a 62 or a 69 or even bigger I can see the octagon to round for overall weight savings, and with a 40+ inch barrel it should still have plenty of hanging weight to be a nice shooter. You could always add some weight to the end of the octagon to round squirrel rifle to get it to hang well, it wouldn't take much at the end to change the balance noticeably.

Swamped means two things here. First, Pecatonica is swamped with work. That's good for business but I had to wait awhile for my parts. Not too long a wait though and when they showed up I was more than happy with the pre-carved stock. I ordered a 36" octagon to round smooth bore and the barrel inletting was great. If I'd have wanted a longer barrel I'd have have gone with a swamped one like my Kibler Smr 40 cal.
For a soldered on sight you could probably drill a shallow hole and solder in a barley corn style.

Back