• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nose Band?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the latest time period that a simple nose band would have been used instead of the nose cap?

well, an Isaac Haines is pretty specific! He was a Lancaster maker who probably worked for 20-30 years before taking up farming fulltime and I'd be surprised if he made a single gun without a full nosecap.

From the few nose bands I have seen it is difficult to pin down a time period. There is a full-stocked fowler at the DeWitt-Wallace museum in Williamsburg that has the nose band treatment. It is an 18th century English-made piece. On the other hand I have seen 19th century Southern Moutain rifles with the nose band, which, I guess reflects the English influence on Southern guns. When I say nose-band I am referring to a strip of brass approximately 1/2" to 5/8" in width applied 1/2" back from the mussle. Pictures of Pennsylvania rifles look like they have your basic nosecap that is open-ended. I think at one time Eric Kettenburg had a rifle on his website made like that.

Nose bands and nose caps are two different things.
Nose bands were used mainl;y on low end trade gun quality stuff. NW guns used them thru their entire existence didn't they?

Darkhorse said:
What I am referring to is basically; A nosecap without the end.
I've seen a few of those on originals, but don't know enough about the practice to make any intellegent statement. Eric Kettenburg could probably say quite abit about the subject.

Open-ended nosecaps are not often found on lancaster guns and never seen on the existing Haines rifles.

Just as an editorial, I'd love to see kit makers who offer "Isaac Haines" or "Dickert" or JP Beck" or "Verner" or whatever kits, say a few words about the original maker they are using to market their products. Many customers probably have not studied originals or books with originals and don't know much about the specific styles these guns represent. Just a little blurb would be helpful- about where and when the maker worked, the style he is considered to exemplify, and a few details about that maker's work that are sort of "signatures" would be helpful. Then we'd see a lot less confusion for folks' building from these kits. The Muzzleloader Builders Supply Company has this sort of stuff in their catalogue, I think.

Open ended nosecaps are S.O.P. on Lehigh and Bucks county guns.
bucksnosecapweb.jpg

I thought you were talking about just a band around the stock, with wood showing ahead of it. I have seen Leman rifles done this way, with a band of THIN brass going all the way around the wood, under the barrel, and rivetting in the rod channel...placed about an inch or so behind the end of the stock.

I'm building an Issac Haines TOW kit with a swamped barrel. Stock is pre-shaped at muzzle with a flair. Would it be correct to take the flare out and put a nose cap on? Thanks

Mike Brooks said:
Nose bands and nose caps are two different things.
Nose bands were used mainl;y on low end trade gun quality stuff. NW guns used them thru their entire existence didn't they?

Yes sir. Type G guns too.

wallygator said:
I'm building an Issac Haines TOW kit with a swamped barrel. Stock is pre-shaped at muzzle with a flair. Would it be correct to take the flare out and put a nose cap on? Thanks

Inlet the flared nose cap. The flare in the stock and nosecap should follow the same flare as the barrel.

Back