• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

northwest trade gun trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The trigger on my northwest trade gun is heavy. I don't have a gauge, but its 2 finger heavy. I have read the native Americans that used them preferred the 2 finger pull.
This is a t.o.w. parts smoothbore. Can I expect the trigger pull to lighten with use?

IMO, if it has a good lock on it, you won't see much difference with use.
The hard surfaces of the sear and tumbler won't wear or polish much just from use.

To find out if the lock is the problem, remove it from the stock. Bring it to full cock. Keep your fingers out of the way of the hammer (if it is a flintlock, close the frizzen and keep your parts out of the way of the cock and the frizzen).

Push upwards on the sear arm (the thing that is sticking out from the inner surface of the lock face).
Pay attention to how hard you had to push for the sear to release and the hammer or cock to fall.
If it's more than a few pounds, the lock is the problem.
If it's not more than a few pounds the problem is with the location of the trigger pivot pin.

If you want to be PC, then just smile and tell everyone your trigger pull is "just like the originals!" ::

Zonie has pointed out two potential trouble spots but there is a third that I have found common.

You may have bad inletting that has left wood interfering with the sear pivot or trigger bar. You may not have enough clearance or the depth of inlet may be insufficient.

You say the gun is assembled from parts and inletting is often less than satisfactory in this area. Most of the locks used with this kit are of adiquite quality, their is only sooo much you can do to ruin the pivot of a trigger, and it usually will not equil a two finger pull! (although I did have a Davis lock that came close! They used a piece of railroad track for a sear spring)

Check the inletting.

:front:

I would also try blackening the end of the sear bar to see whether it is bottoming-out in the hole. This could also be checked by loosening your lock bolts and seeing whether the trigger pull becomes easier. The comment about the inletting is a very good one. Sometimes I have had to goop-up the inside of the lock to find that "little spot" that was causing the problem. Another potential problem could be that the full-cock notch is cut too deep and does not readily release with normal pressure on the trigger.
Black Hand

"If it's not more than a few pounds the problem is with the location of the trigger pivot pin."

Bingo, the best made and well tuned lock cannot compensate for bad location of the fulcrum on a lever. (trigger)

Back