• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest Gun Fun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fired my new 20 gauge Northwest trade gun today:

FEF70F2A-44A9-4E5A-A4BC-62DAF3264CFC.jpeg

It was a heap of fun!! Good ignition and I was using period correct tow wadding. Overall a super experience. Thanks gang!!

View attachment 228196

It was a heap of fun!! Good ignition and I was using period correct tow wadding. Overall a super experience. Thanks gang!!
It's a good thing you didn't run across us at Fort de Chartres. @andy52, @Rod Man and I would have told you what a shameful purchase you made, but we would be willing to take it off your hands to destroy. Now you fired it and the destruction is in your hands. Probably take 20 to 30 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, all! This afternoon I decided to do a little project and disassembled the lock and stuck the lockplate with a sitting fox stamp. Original Northwest guns often had these and I believe it was an inspection or proof mark of some kind. I bought a stamp from Track of the Wolf and also wanted it because s foxes are pretty and cool 🦊

BCFFE4B5-67E0-45A0-BA2D-C7F99BEC6A02.jpeg

Not a perfect job but then again rarely were the originals. Not uncommon to find these crooked or double struck on period trade guns so I don’t feel too bad lol. I really love this little accent and feel it makes the gun “mine”. Take care gang! On my next range outing I’m going to try wool blanket wadding, a period wadding choice.

Thanks for the kind words, all! This afternoon I decided to do a little project and disassembled the lock and stuck the lockplate with a sitting fox stamp. Original Northwest guns often had these and I believe it was an inspection or proof mark of some kind. I bought a stamp from Track of the Wolf and also wanted it because s foxes are pretty and cool 🦊

View attachment 228346

Not a perfect job but then again rarely were the originals. Not uncommon to find these crooked or double struck on period trade guns so I don’t feel too bad lol. I really love this little accent and feel it makes the gun “mine”. Take care gang! On my next range outing I’m going to try wool blanket wadding, a period wadding choice.
Stamp looks good to me, very neat!

View attachment 228196

My trade gun is very accurate with Tow,, but be careful.After you shoot look for the tow wad down range. It has a tendency to smolder and even start fires if you are shooting in a dry grass area.

Back