• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northstar west Officer musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the NSW website, it appears that they do have a NW trade rifle for sale, but it's sold pending funds. Looks like everything else is made-to-order. They don't give any easy access to pricing for finished guns, and I got tired of having to navigate around trying to pry out info I thought relevant.

Still unknown is WHO makes their guns or kit parts. Nowhere is there any indication of "Proudly Made in the USA" as many manufacturers state.

This leads me to believe that maybe their stuff is imported, and if so, the sole price I saw for the one single gun they have for sale is way high.

Too much is left unsaid on their website. Seems silly to have to mooch for a quote, while other retailers and dealers will gladly publish a price list where it can be easily found.

I'm not impressed with their website. Hopefully their guns, delivery and service are better.

I don't have any personal experience, but I used to work with a guy who has been building musket kits for re-enactors for years. He was hired to put one together for a client and was very impressed with the overall quality of the parts-and he is hard to please. One day, he brought in the lock to show me. It seemed like a high quality, well built lock. He said the kit turned out great his client was thrilled. He showed me pictures of the finished musket and it looked great.

FWIW,
Says right on the home page Made in Montana. And yeah, you have to dig a bit and put together the gun and options you want before it spits out a price for a finished gun or a kit.
Matt (laffindog) is a member here and I'm sure he wouldn't mind a phone call if you can't figure out the website.
His guns are first rate.

Now come on you all the girl holding the NWG is pretty cute...good web sight right there.
Curly made some of the best guns avalible, I only got to meet him once. After he sold out to NSwest,I was proud tosee they kept a good product out. Every NSWest gun I have seen was top of the line...light years ahead of my own guns

They are most definitely made in the USA. I've been in Matt's shop where the barrels are turned, wax castings made etc. Matt himself showed me around when I went hunting last year near by and he even let me pick out the stock for the Chief's grade I ordered.

Thanks for the input, I checked out website and have found the cost while steep is not prohibitive when compared to a pedersoli bess(which I already have).
I have seen write ups of the trade guns and most report that they are well made.

Looking for something a little trimmer and lighter than my bess for hunting/treking and prefer the military style over the trade gun.

Looks like they have a few more pics on their facebook page.

I know one of the builders. He is a very talented man who has built custom guns for years. He told me i would never be disappointed with one of their guns.

Andy

I'm not impressed with their website.

+1 on the young lady :thumbsup:

And I have used the menu to "build" a gun and thought it very easy? And the price seemed very fair for a custom??

I just went to the site and foud the price for the Musket in less than 20 seconds. I was also able to find reference to Made In America in two different areas. I don't know how to make it more easy to navigate than that. Once on the "prices & ordering" page you can configure a finished gun or a kit with your choice of caliber and barrel length among other options and get an instant price.

That webite was state of the art in 2006 but I am just now working with someone to rebuild it to 2014 standards. It is a lot of work and fairly expensive. Stay tuned. I hope the new one is even better than the current one.

tenngun said:
Now come on you all the girl holding the NWG is pretty cute...good web sight right there.
Curly made some of the best guns avalible, I only got to meet him once. After he sold out to NSwest,I was proud tosee they kept a good product out. Every NSWest gun I have seen was top of the line...light years ahead of my own guns

I knew Curly. Great person. And, one of the best camp cooks ever. If you walked by his camp he offered to feed you. RIP Curly.

I agree the website is dated, honestly As another said, as long as they make a nice gun I am not concerned about the website. :surrender:

Sometimes it's nice to read a real account of someone's experience with an item before you lay out the cash. The reports I've seen of the trade guns all seem to be positive.

Rifleman1776 said:
tenngun said:

I knew Curly. Great person. And, one of the best camp cooks ever. If you walked by his camp he offered to feed you. RIP Curly.

Or he would likely offer a "spiritous libation". Then pin you down with a great story of his or someone else' adventures. Before you got out of his camp you would be the proud owner of a new trade gun. He sure knew how to make people feel comfortable, welcome, part of the North Star family. There are hundreds - nay! - thousands of happy North Star customers out there. This year, 2014, marks 38 years since Curly started the whole endevor which he said that his friends said he was crazy to start in the first place.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread but this stuff comes up and needs to be addressed in context. Anyone who knew Curly knows what I mean.

I never got to meet him or get to know him but from what i have read he was a helluva man. I will be getting one of you trade guns when funds are available. Is there a way to request a certain builder you use,Laffindog.

Andy

would you ever consider an early English trade gun? Matt makes a beauty; nice and light and a great shooter (20 ga.)Also has very nice lines.

Back