• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

normal/safe for someone who only has a percussion rifle to keep loaded without the cap for home def?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree completely @arcticap.

Something that gets missed when the subject comes up (Semi regularly...) is that it may be the posters only option. And, rather than helpful advice, the responses tend to reflect our personal biases and training or lack of it. I have over ten years combined military and law enforcement training in the use of small arms, tactics and combined fires. I’m sure that many of you have similar or greater training and experience. This training and experience tends to reinforce the superiority of modern firearms over their charcoal burning cousins so most of us repeat this over and over... Frankly, this isn’t useful and doesn’t answer the questions posed. No one has argued that bp arms are superior in any way to modern weapons for use as home or personal defensive weapons. A few have attempted to answer the original questions and if I can sum up it would be yes Virginia, some people do keep bp firearms loaded for defense of home and self. Also, it’s as safe as any firearm. If circumstances dictate this is the only choice available then I would work with it. Beats the heck out of fingernails and teeth. Best of luck to you in all of your endeavors.

what BPtactical said … serious money … I would recommend that you have about six to eight grand handy … consider this sort of what cowboys called "burying money" (traditionally rolled up and stuffed into one cylinder of the sixgun). Attorneys have to "keep the lights on," too … meet payroll, pay the rent, pay the accountant and the tax man and the janitor and so on... it's a lot of money, but if it keeps you out of jail, it's money well spent.

Put an attorney's number on your speed dialer … once you see the blue lights, call him or her … if it's two a.m. (and it probably will be) your lawyer won't be there, but you'll at least be at the top of the call me right away list. Then you can tell the cops that you've already called the lawyer and you don't want to talk right now... be polite but firm on this... the cops have an agenda - usually driven by the prosecutor's office, which is usually driven by the prosecutor (note to self - be careful when you go to the polls).

Keep a well loaded 44 capped all the time. Hammer lays on the dead man chamber. No young'uns around, I think by being a single action makes it safe and handy. I do pay attention to exercising and cleaning the machine on a schedule. Don't want any misfires if it needs to be used for home defense. Cap and ball is not to be taken lightly, they can do some damage. Have had a lot of kidding and snickers about my choice of weapon until I put it up against the fancy ones.

Using a BP in the house you will get only one clean shot no matter how many cylinders it has.
Try shooting a BP inside and see what happens. I have had days on the open range that it took 10-15 seconds for enough smoke to clear to see the target. Coup that up in your living room or bedroom. I don't think you would like it.
The smoke cloud will also conceal you, from their return fire too.

...At that moment I would rather look more like a dove and quail hunter who got lucky against the dead pukes than a Rambo wannabe.

Good point! Shoulda thought about it that way before, but if lawyers will try to make handloaded ammo reveal “intent” (and they do), what would they do with an uzzi, or tommy gun replica, as the defensive weapon used???

Good point! Shoulda thought about it that way before, but if lawyers will try to make handloaded ammo reveal “intent” (and they do), what would they do with an uzzi, or tommy gun replica, as the defensive weapon used???

I have seen this said many times, but when people have asked for documented incidents of this actually being none there hasn’t been anything shown (tailored ammo).

I have seen this said many times, but when people have asked for documented incidents of this actually being none there hasn’t been anything shown (tailored ammo).
Google Harold Fish, 10mm. Arizona. The politically motivated DA emphasizes the caliber and ammunition as mitigating factors and gains a conviction... later overturned.

what BPtactical said … serious money … I would recommend that you have about six to eight grand handy … consider this sort of what cowboys called "burying money" (traditionally rolled up and stuffed into one cylinder of the sixgun). Attorneys have to "keep the lights on," too … meet payroll, pay the rent, pay the accountant and the tax man and the janitor and so on... it's a lot of money, but if it keeps you out of jail, it's money well spent.

Put an attorney's number on your speed dialer … once you see the blue lights, call him or her … if it's two a.m. (and it probably will be) your lawyer won't be there, but you'll at least be at the top of the call me right away list. Then you can tell the cops that you've already called the lawyer and you don't want to talk right now... be polite but firm on this... the cops have an agenda - usually driven by the prosecutor's office, which is usually driven by the prosecutor (note to self - be careful when you go to the polls).
The 5th Amendment is as important as the second... John Law is not necessarily a bad guy but if you try to convince him that this was a righteous shooting he may well gain enough evidence from your statements that a zealous prosecutor will be able to send you away for a long long time... Remember, the burden of proof is not on the shooter, it Is on the state to make the case that yours was not righteous. Give them nothing at all.

5 pages worth. Hm.

For the OP.
Seeing your restraints,this is simple.

From a tactical point of view it is extremely hard to beat a shotgun in a confined space. Even a ML such.

Be aware that over 90% of all shootouts are put to rest with 3 rounds or less fired.

As a homeinvasion is likely to happen at night be aware that the muzzle blast of a BP firearm will momentarily blind you. Bat style.
Thus,chalk another one up for a SBS or similar,seeing what´s at hand.

First time i encountered that there with muzzle blast,hadn´t given it another thought to be honest,was me firing a Sharps in 54-120 (wildcat,don´t ask) with a 3-9x ontop at dusk at the range.
Through optics..well,to state that i ran around blind as a bat for a few moments is being very much to the point.

The mere idea of getting 6 shots off out of for instance a -58 or similar,aimed,at an assailant in the semi dark?
Right. Just..right...

As for self defense though the most important tip of all is take a class. No matter where you live on the globe there´s bound to be such.
Attend one and learn from it.

Latest posts

Back