• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-lead Shot for muzzleloading double barrel shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPN56

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently got a dixie double barrel shotgun as a gift. I want to take it hunting, but here in Commiefornia we need non-lead shot. I was wondering if anyone has used any that is safe in a muzzleloader? The barrels are chrome lined so I'm thinking steel should work right?

Thank you so much kind sir! I have a feeling that the next jack rabbit I run into will be bagged just fine!

TGPN56 - That link was a good read and had some good info in it. :thumbsup: He was able to achieve much better patterns than I did, using the same gun and similar components.

Like the guy in the article, I also experienced tighter patterns from my open barrel than my choked barrel when using plastic wads. :idunno:

I do think though, that the reason steel shot has been so successful killing waterfowl in modern shotguns, is because of it's high velocity. That speed is not obtainable in ML guns though.

I started using Hevi-Shot, after another forum member's recommendation. It's denser than steel and irregular in shape. Supposed to give better terminal performance than steel in MLs. And while it's softer than steel, I still use a Ballistics Products wad. Even the manufacturer wouldn't tell me it was ok to use it without a plastic wad.

Good luck and have fun. Give us a report when you work up a load and take it into the field. GW

Grey Whiskers said:
I do think though, that the reason steel shot has been so successful killing waterfowl in modern shotguns, is because of it's high velocity. That speed is not obtainable in ML guns though.

That was my experience with steel in muzzleloaders, though others have posted happiness with it in muzzleloaders.

My choice for alternative shot is the original ITX. Just dandy performance and no need for wadding to protect the bore. Same for contemporary bismuth, but I just haven't tried it. Folks who have done so also report happiness.

Back