• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No, you can't ship black powder pistols or handguns via the USPS.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A common question that comes up here is, "Can I ship a black powder pistol or handgun through the USPS?"

The answer is no.

There is then always a lot of debate around this. A lot of people are confused between the Federal definition of a firearm and USPS postal regulations.

These are the USPS regulations, as updated February 9, 2023:

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf
Go to page 99.

Alternatively, you can go here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm
1691511949690.png

What this means is that you cannot ship "antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun." via the USPS. This includes replicas. The USPS doesn't consider antique firearms to be firearms unless they meet the definition of a handgun. Then they consider it a firearm.

What it also means is that you cannot take the gun apart and ship the pieces as "parts" to get around this regulation. You can't ship the frame or lock for a handgun, either.

Regardless of what the federal government may define a firearm to be, USPS postal regulations do not allow the shipping of any kind of handgun.

There are exceptions for certain government employees, and certain license holders. But your average Joe cannot ship any kind of handgun through USPS.

I direct your attention to the words "or replica" in 431.2 and subparagraphs a. and b. above. I'm not a lawyer, but I can read. I would check with your local postmaster.
BUT..
USPS has an impressive "loss/theft" rate for parcels...
Please note, as I noted above, that antique firearms does not exempt antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun.

1691513321511.png

How do you square your opinion with the regulations above that explicitly disallow handguns, even antique handguns, from being mailed?
Because a black powder firearm is NOT a firearm per ATF.

They can be purchases as if buying a candy bar or the lasted edition of Gun Grabber magazine.

Antiques fall under a class of handguns that use modern cartridges.

The USPS doesn't want pre-January 1st, 1899, cartridge revolvers being shipped USPS.

Antique guns are NOT black powder guns.

Because a black powder firearm is NOT a firearm per ATF.

They can be purchases as if buying a candy bar or the lasted edition of Gun Grabber magazine.

Antiques fall under a class of handguns that use modern cartridges.

The USPS doesn't want pre-January 1st, 1899, cartridge revolvers being shipped USPS.

Antique guns are NOT black powder guns.
The ATF is not the USPS. ATF definitions are not the same as USPS definitions.

Please read this again:
1691514468280.png

Debating what is and is not an "antique firearm" doesn't matter.

The USPS does not allow shipping of any kind of handgun. Antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun are explicitly included as unable to be shipped.

The ATF is not the USPS. ATF definitions are not the same as USPS definitions.

Please read this again:
View attachment 243333
Think whatever you want.

But stop spreading B*** S*** on the internet.

You want to do the Left's work for them.....fine.

But you have exactly, precisely, and without ambiguity no idea what you're talking about.

Think whatever you want.

But stop spreading B*** S*** on the internet.

You want to do the Left's work for them.....fine.

But you have exactly, precisely, and without ambiguity no idea what you're talking about.
I am not "doing the Left's work for them". I would love to be able to ship handguns through USPS. What I don't want is for people to get in trouble. Or worse, not be able to file an insurance claim if it turns up lost.

I have provided the actual USPS regulations.

I don't know how you can continue to argue with 3 simple sections in black and white.

USPS regulations explicitly bar the shipping of handguns, and the explicitly say that this also applies to "antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun".

I suggest you print out this section and speak to your postmaster.

I am not "doing the Left's work for them". I would love to be able to ship handguns through USPS. What I don't want is for people to get in trouble. Or worse, not be able to file an insurance claim if it turns up lost.

I have provided the actual USPS regulations.

I don't know how you can continue to argue with 3 simple sections in black and white.

USPS regulations explicitly bar the shipping of handguns, and the explicitly say that this also applies to "antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun".

I suggest you print out this section and speak to your postmaster.
SMH
USPS follows BATFE written regulations on shipping firearms ,C&R and antiques which includes BP originals and replicas.

I think that the key here is proper markings. Make sure that you have many warnings that this is a questionable item, big orange letters make the package look inviting.:ghostly: Seriously, if you want to minimize potential damage and questions at the post office, break the gun down into the halves, super pad it and send it. The package will be about 40 inches long and no one will even notice

I have contacted the Mailing and Shipping Solutions center.

They are researching the answer.

Just because something is classified as a firearm (and hence a restricted item) does not mean you can't ship it through USPS. It just means there are certain ways it has to be shipped.

I am trying to find out now what those ways are for percussion handguns.

I have contacted the Mailing and Shipping Solutions center.

They are researching the answer.

Just because something is classified as a firearm (and hence a restricted item) does not mean you can't ship it through USPS. It just means there are certain ways it has to be shipped.

I am trying to find out now what those ways are for percussion handguns.
WTH did you do that? You just said WE COULD NOT! Now yer changing yer tune to say we might be able to if we pack it in talc powder and lemon slices? My replicas went in bubble wrap and I was never questioned about the term "Replica Prop".

Whats yer point....really?

WTH did you do that? You just said WE COULD NOT! Now yer changing yer tune to say we might be able to if we pack it in talc powder and lemon slices? My replicas went in bubble wrap and I was never questioned about the term "Replica Prop".

Whats yer point....really?
Mitt Romney owns muzzle loaders.

Flip Flopin with the best of them. '

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back