• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more black.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one gun that shoots best with Triple 7. I have one that shoots best with Pyrodex. It tooks dozens of pounds of powder in different amounts and with different components over a few years to figure this out. Now I just put the preferred load in there and have full confidence of being sighted in and getting the accuracy and velocity I expect. With that said, I use CCI #11 Mag in all these rifles and have had zero problems with ignition. I have switched to Musket caps when I ran out of #11's, but then went back to the #11 nipple once I replenished the supply. I think you're fine whichever way you decided to go.

I called Hodgdon and asked them. They said that the shelf life of 777 is indefinate as long as the powder has not been exposed to moisture. same thing for pyrodex. I shoot t7 in mine with no issues
I have cans opened for years no problem I know one can of t7 has been open for over 10 years still works fine

I have cans opened for years no problem I know one can of t7 has been open for over 10 years still works fine
what I have done with 777 and pyrodex is after I open it I get a piece of saran wrap double it put it over the container and screw the lid on figuring no moisture can get past the plastic. now I do not know if there is a chemical deterioration while stored but I have had them for years and they still ignite

I've used pyrodex in caplocks for over 40 years, no problems or complaints. Recently I started using more Triple 7, it does exactly as advertised, more velocity and easier cleaning. However, it is getting much more expensive the pyrodex, so if I find a good deal on Pyro, I still use it. There is no reason, as many state, to reduce loads 15% when using Triple 7, as it is perfectly safe using the same volume loads as real black or pyrodex. The 15% reduction is to replicate Goex loads. Also it can be compressed in a muzzleloader or cap and ball revolver. The manufacturer says not to compress Triple 7 in metallic cartridge reloading. I will continue to use whatever is available in my caplocks, I save the real black for flinters.

This is Blasphemy! Real Holy Black only. Leave the 777 to the Unmentionable Mzldrs 😁 Granted it’s going to work and be easier to clean up…Darn right

Let me ask ya this Jeromiah…. If your building a authentic log cabin in the mountains, Would you use Power Tools?
Darn right , and gonna start as soon as Fedex delivers the generator /hotdogs and beer (for after work)/Ed

I've used pyrodex in caplocks for over 40 years, no problems or complaints. Recently I started using more Triple 7, it does exactly as advertised, more velocity and easier cleaning. However, it is getting much more expensive the pyrodex, so if I find a good deal on Pyro, I still use it. There is no reason, as many state, to reduce loads 15% when using Triple 7, as it is perfectly safe using the same volume loads as real black or pyrodex. The 15% reduction is to replicate Goex loads. Also it can be compressed in a muzzleloader or cap and ball revolver. The manufacturer says not to compress Triple 7 in metallic cartridge reloading. I will continue to use whatever is available in my caplocks, I save the real black for flinters.
back in the 80s 90s BP. was not easy to find. pyrodex then 777 was everywhere Wal-Mart would put it on clearance. ii would buy it all. still shooting out of those bottles with no problems

When I started cap and call revolvers about 10 years ago, I bought a can of 777. Then I heard genuine black powder is "better, and discovered that Track of the Wolf was located about 35 miles from my house, and that they carried black powder. Ever since then I have been using black powder, but once in a while I use some 777 (which seems more powerful than BP btw, although I have not done a side-by-side test on the chronograph). I still have half of my original can of 777,and it seems to be the same as it ever was.

I am new to BP and at the start all I had was Pyrodex RS… with cci magnum 11s, no hang fires and good accuracy for me.

FYI I got some real BP from travelers this week… they had both Swiss and schuetzen in stock.

it things keep up with the powder situation, we will be back to troughing stones again!!!

This is Blasphemy! Real Holy Black only. Leave the 777 to the Unmentionable Mzldrs 😁 Granted it’s going to work and be easier to clean up…

Let me ask ya this Jeromiah…. If your building a authentic log cabin in the mountains, Would you use Power Tools?
You bet. So would Daniel Boone if he could have.

Well I just picked up my first flintlock, to go along with my percussion T/C’s
I suppose I will save my Real Black for the flintlock, and try the Pyrodex and T7 in my Hawken , but maybe I will put on the musket cap nipple, and give that a try.

I'll spare you all the long story and just say I had a fair bit of trouble with T7 in my percussion Renegade using #11 or musket caps. Black FFG always worked well for me. And yes, good nipples and clear touch holes. Just could never get good consistent ignition with it. Alot of miss-fires and hangfires. Best I could ever achieve was a delay between the cap and charge going off a similar to a flinter if not more.

Recently tried Pyrodex RS Select for the first time and my Renny shoots as reliable as it did with FFG. Since then I've been able to get a couple pounds of Scheutzen FFG and that will be my go-to once again. Don't know what I'll do with the T7 that I have left, but it won't be in my muzzleloaders

I am finally down to my last 1/2 lb of Swiss black powder……. In in I can find both T7 and Pyrodex locally, and wonder if I could use them in my T/C Renegade and Hawken……… Not looking for theories, want some feedback from someone who has tried both as substitutes.
Personally, I would stock up on Swiss (I am down to my last 25 pounds, so starting to shop), but that’s not your question. I have tried both T7 and Pyrodex over the years, and for consistent performance in a percussion gun similar to black powder, would choose Pyrodex. Just need to adjust charge to avoid need to changing sight elevation. Main issue I have with Pyrodex, is that it seems to eat barrels, even those made of stainless, unless one is meticulous about cleaning after use. I have found some performance degradation with Pyrodex in older previously opened containers, and would suggest a desiccant be placed in any open containers. With T7, I found significant, at least to me, changes in POI when I stretched the range out to 300 yards with paper patched conicals. Chronograph confirmed varied velocities depending on age of powder and differences between lots in my experience. Under 75 yards with a roundball, doubt there is much difference between Swiss, Pyrodex and T7, as far as performance. Too many folks out there using all three with no complaints. Me, I would still look for more Swiss. Just too consistent to ignore without a fight.

I am finally down to my last 1/2 lb of Swiss black powder. I know I can buy it online, but has anybody had any real success with T7?. I can find both T7 and Pyrodex locally, and wonder if I could use them in my T/C Renegade and Hawken. I shoot mostly with #11 caps, but I do have a few musket cap nipples for the T/C guns. Would I be better shooting T7 with musket caps or regular #11 caps. Not looking for theories, want some feedback from someone who has tried both as substitutes.
[/QUOT

You’re looking for someone who actually uses both. So here’s what I do. I use real black (Goex and Scheutzen) in my flintlocks, Pyrodex in my percussion guns and Triple 7 in my modern percussion guns that we don’t talk about. Why? Because in the recent past, I’ve been able to buy substitutes locally for less than I can buy real black on line and now have plenty. That’s just what I do.

I’ve used Pyrodex for 30+ years with no problems. I started using it when I got my first muzzleloader because I couldn’t find BP anywhere local.The Pyrodex worked great, so I never stopped using it. I use RS or Select, whatever I find on sale or clearance

Back