• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more black.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am finally down to my last 1/2 lb of Swiss black powder. I know I can buy it online, but has anybody had any real success with T7?. I can find both T7 and Pyrodex locally, and wonder if I could use them in my T/C Renegade and Hawken. I shoot mostly with #11 caps, but I do have a few musket cap nipples for the T/C guns. Would I be better shooting T7 with musket caps or regular #11 caps. Not looking for theories, want some feedback from someone who has tried both as substitutes.

Attachments

• AD9B256C-F810-4CC0-BDD7-27FA783A8BF1.jpeg
    AD9B256C-F810-4CC0-BDD7-27FA783A8BF1.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 38
Pyrodex will work fine. The P grade or Select would be my choice.
I have Select and Triple 7 2f for my "other" rifle.
I have tried both in one of my sidehammer guns with no issues. I've just made sure that the powder got into the drum by tapping on the side of the stock before firing.

I have shot t7 3f exclusively out of renegades n hawkens for several years using cci mag 11 caps with no issues. Same reason of availability. Mostly shooting conicals in fast twist barrels but have one renegade dedicated for roundball using same powder. All very accurate n dependable. I’ve found cleaning to be the same as real black. I do have a custom hawken roundball gun that wouldn’t shoot it well so I just switched to real black in that.
My only issue with T7 is longevity vs black in storage. I shoot a lot so it hasn’t been bad for me but if for instance a person only shoots their gun during hunting season then they may need a new jug each year.

I've worked a bit with T7 and as stated, once the can is opened, it doesn't store very well. You're better off with the real black. I've also experimented with Pyrodex and T7 in guns, both old CVAs, equipped with nipples for #11 and musket caps. In both cases, musket caps gave perfect ignition. #11s had one failure to fire and a couple hang fires. This wasn't an exhaustive test, but it was enough to convince me that real black coupled with a musket cap is a way to insure ignition. Even with the known issues in T7 storage, I strongly prefer it over Pyrodex. Choose your comfort level, but I'd opt first for Swiss and second for T7 and musket caps for both since I shoot mostly muskets and guns set up for musket caps.

I Have A Traditions Hawken and a CVA Mountain rifle, so both the same type of breech plug. I shot Pyrodex when I first started, I would have an occasional hang fire. That was solved by changing up to magnum caps. The Pyrodex shot fine. All testaments rank T7 as top of the line for substitutes. Before making any nipple changes, shoot what you have and see what your results are.

Been using Pyrodex P for many years. Same reason, availability. Started with RS but got occasional hangfire. Use P in revolvers too. Used standard and mag caps, no noticable difference.

I have used both. Prefer T7. Never noted a stored can delivering loss of power. Have a can of pyrodex 30 yr old +/- that is clumped and when I break it up and load it it works and POI has not changed. GOTTA CLEAN em tho, just like black.

FWIW I use black now having obtained likely lifetime supply

I called Hodgdon and asked them. They said that the shelf life of 777 is indefinate as long as the powder has not been exposed to moisture. same thing for pyrodex. I shoot t7 in mine with no issues

Back