• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice Morning in the Woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Naz58!

I lost a 9 point a few years back hit almost in the same spot.
I found it a week later..
Some Guys swear by the high shoulder shot for dropping one in its tracks.....
Beautiful photos Thanks for posting

Congrats Naz58!

I lost a 9 point a few years back hit almost in the same spot.
I found it a week later..
Some Guys swear by the high shoulder shot for dropping one in its tracks.....
Beautiful photos Thanks for posting

I never have to track one that runs through both shoulder blades. 30y at most. Typically 20y. I judge a good shot as one that gets both lungs. A heart shot is great but if you pop both lungs they’ll usually crash within earshot. 40y max.

I’ve been known to head shoot em’....
Sometimes that’s all you get.
Whatever takes too out one down quickly.

But I fully agree , if you take the front legs out from under them and you let the air out of em’ ... They ain’t going far...

After the shot she ran off in a strange stride, very flat. Not the bounding gate they usually have. Finding the heart damaged the way it was I guess there just wasn't much oxygen/blood flowing. Like I posted earlier, dead in 40 yards or so.

Don

Final chapter..
sausage.jpg1.jpg

Breakfast sausage...good. Wife made venison meatloaf last night, excellent as well.
We get local pork sausage for gravy, it is quite hot. Mixed this with the venison, touched it up with some garlic/onion/brown sugar. Very nice with egg over easy on homemade sourdough.

Don

just finished up bologna 9 sticks in the smoker, jerky is in the cure and the pastrami is also curing, will hunt Monday with a old Marine buddy but alas I will not be carrying a rifle, I will be the guide. All tagged out this year 2 nice bucks a big 8 and a really nice 7. time to think about hunting rabbits. Good Hunting to all.

Thanks, I watch the deer in the area I hunt pretty much year round and placed a restriction on myself about 5 years ago nothing smaller than a six point and even then he has to be a mature deer no basket racks. I am pretty lucky, the mountain I hunt on it is just me unless I invite someone along, also place the 6 point restriction on them. This year I never heard another rifle shot during our early muzzle loader season and only 3 far off shots during the regular rifle season. It is starting to pay off the other thing, only 3 bucks will be shot off that mountain the 2 I have killed and if my Marine brother comes to hunt perhaps he will bag one. If not only 2 a year.

Our place is for myself and the Son in law/grandkids. Next year is the first year for the grandson, looking forward to it.

First year we had it I found a set of tracks that looked like they were from a moose. I put my blind up to watch them. Sent my son in law to the other end of the property. At dark on opening day heard him shoot and a deer run towards me, clearly heard him die. We found him and it was a 10 pt. After field dressing it weighed 230 lbs, which is HUGE for our area. He shot MY deer!! Hangs over his fireplace. Don't feel bad at all about it.

Funny how a little age and experience changes how we view things. I have had more fun complaining about him shooting my deer than if I had got him myself.

Don

After the shot she ran off in a strange stride, very flat. Not the bounding gate they usually have. Finding the heart damaged the way it was I guess there just wasn't much oxygen/blood flowing. Like I posted earlier, dead in 40 yards or so.

Don
I've seen hearts turned to lasagna, and the deer runs as you describe, very flat, nearly unable to get their hind legs underneath their body. Other times flat with the nose toward the ground death run. They've gone 60 yards that way before piling up. Glad for your success. Helped my son find one the other day he took with a bow. First time I've been able to walk on uneven ground in nearly 4 months. Great to be out with him for a little while that morning.

Latest posts

Back