• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice article on the PA flintlock season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiosam

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hunting with flintlock rifles is a part of Pennsylvania's history

And, for some, the only way to hunt

For some hunters, Pennsylvania's flintlock deer season is more than one last chance to tag a whitetail -- it is history relived. To others, it's a way to trim the modern hunter's technological edge down to its essential roots.

Established by the Pennsylvania Game Commission in 1974 on 37 selected state game lands, the unique hunt lured steadily increasing numbers of black powder participants as the season was offered on more game lands tracts, and then expanded statewide in 1979.

The robust initial growth of flintlock hunting in Pennsylvania was neither a random accident nor the result of marketing campaigns to sell a "new" class of firearms.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09354/1022314-358.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice article. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette is a very anti-gun newspaper, but its nice to see an article promoting the Flintlock Season in it. I'll give credit where it's due. :thumbsup:

WOW, very well written piece.
It illustrates some very important reasons why people choose this type of firearm vs new technology.

PJC

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's great.Used to hunt their flintlock season a few yrs.ago.Griz

For those of you who enjoy this special hunt in Pennsylvania, guard it well. In Minnesota, our late season muzzleloader hunt was won by the hard work of the traditional muzzleloader hunters, but now it's an annual fight to keep scoped inlines out. Even with non-scoped inlines allowed, so many deer are taken that it's no longer an either-sex hunt statewide, rather managed by unit, just like regular gun seasons, to ensure doe kill limits aren't exceeded.

I think we are the only state left with the traditional season. This is also my favorite and my son got his first hunting experience this week.

DSCN0098-1.jpg

I am very thankful for this season , It is my favorite time in the woods. In my area special reg. area doe season is open with shotgun . I have private property that I hunt, my friend showed up the opening day with a scoped inline ,he does own a flintlock. I was very upset he said he is legal and I told him not on my property anymore unless it is flintlock even the kids use flints this time of year. He argued with me that he can use any gun the state says is legal . My response was yes you can on the state land stay off my property unless it is flint.

Ft. Jefferson said:
Sure hope them fella's know how truly blessed they are to have that opportunity.

Yeah we do, and it's a fight almost every year to keep it that way.

Im also a member of another hunting pa web site and many of us from PA who love this season are writing and thanking the PGC for the 3 weeks this year and add anything youd like to the letter. By the way nice post telling the guy to hunt traditional---mt buddy honors my request as well---it is flintlock or bow only.

Could not agree more with the "Primitive Only" season...have hunted it since its inception, and in the regular firearms seasons as well :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
Have found lots of flint lying on the ground...not too many percussion caps scattered about :rotf: :rotf:
Denny

I like your period attire. What rifles are you and your son carrying?
I've come to the primative season only in the past 5 years but love it dearly. I'll be in 3C next week.
Good hunting.

Back