• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

newbie problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been having problems with my first shot or two. Probably due to over-lubricating, powder isn't getting under the nipple and I are having to pull the nipple and drop a few grains underneath, to get ignition.

I have been swabbing the bore with a dry patch and popping 3 caps before loading, to no avail. as well as slapping the side of the rifle opposite the lock, as the manual recommends

I have been thinking that I may need to pull the nipple, prior to shooting and squirt a bit of solvent through where the nipple goes (sorry, don't know the name of the part!)

Also wondering if this .50 might go better with 3FG- I'm using FFG.

Once we got past the first couple of reluctant shots, spent a fun afternoon shooting pinecones with the Brother-in-law~

Could be crud build up on and in the nipple (you can say nipple in the percussion section), when cleaning, do you clean out the nipple as well?

Pull the nipple, is there a white residue on the bottom side of it, can you see through it?

Look down into the drum that the nipple screws into, is it plugged? If so, clean out here as well, a pipe cleaner works good for this area...

I noticed this problem on my guns before and I concluded that once the gun is cleaned and oiled, it was stood up in a rack/corner, this allowed any excess oil to drain into the nipple area, thus plugging it...

I started laying the gun flat or muzzle down until dry and this helped a great deal...

Hi, I always clean out any oil or lube before shooting my percussion guns. I run a patch or two of alchohol or bore cleaner followed by two or three dry patches.

After the patches come up clean and dry I run one down leave it there and fire a cap off. If it comes up blackened and not full of oil or lube you know you are good to go. If it comes up clean you need to clear your fire channel pull the nipple and get a pipe cleaner to clean out whatever is blocking it.

I do this anyway before firing even though you really don't need too.

Go to the hardware store and buy a can of alcohol and some tubing that fits snug over the nipple.

Swab the bore with dry patches, then an alcohol patch or two. You can use the tubing to flush the chamber, fire channel and nipple out either by pump action or simply pouring enough down the bore so it runs out the tube and into a small collection jar.

Dry the bore with a few patches then run a lightly coated natural lube patch down the bore, this helps to coat the metal for the trip to the range or hunting grounds.

Follow the "pop 3 caps with rod/jag/patch" fully seated prior to loading the first shot once you get to the range, this will provide you with visual proof that the fire channel is open and free of any remaining oil.

I had the exact same problem with my TC's when I first started shooting them, since I started using the alcohol flush I have 100% ignition on every first shot.

Regulis7

Something else that will help dry things out(assuming that is the problem). Shoot off a squib load of 20 to 30 grains with a patch compressed on the top of it.

Larry

Thanks all,

Some good advice and I will see whaht happens next week, when I go outto make smoke!

Back