• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie from SW Florida

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm not new to firearms, but don't know much about black powder arms. I'm probably going to be getting a replica Remington New Model Army or Navy soon and need to learn how to safely use it and the laws involved. At this point I want to use conical bullets exclusively.

Welcome.

Don't discount the round balls in cap revolvers. By the time you smush them in the cylinder and then the pistol spits them out through the forcing cone they are conicaled a bit, anyway. And they cost half as much unless you cast our own.

Your first post...and you're already into controversy.:D Welcome to the Forum!!

We are glad you found us, and heartily welcome you to join in the discussions. Shoot what you want, and experiment with different components. You may discover that the roundball fits your needs better than a conical...or not. You'll have fun. You will also discover a lot of other areas of muzzleloading that will eventually pique your interest. You may even get interested in flintlocks...then your first question can be : "Should I use leather or lead to wrap the flint?" or "Which side of the patch (smooth or rough) goes against the ball?" or "What's the best lube for my patches?" or.... You get the idea.

Enjoy the journey. You are among experienced people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Richard/Grumpa

Thanks everyone

Is there any links on here where I can study up the pros and cons of ball vs conical?

After I get a revolver, I want to get BP replica Sharps of some sort. Any links on those on here?

Back