• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New York Contract Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking Bess...

I noticed the stock's ID was carved upside down, was this common???

NYbess.jpg

I'm assuming it's for when the musket is viewed in a rack...

Interesting with the French style cock. The whole thing looks pretty nice. Sure is one long-drink-of-water barrel...!! Wonder what velocity it produces with 110 grains of Swiss???!!

I'd rifle that sucker and put some rifle sight on it...!

:sorry: :youcrazy:

Yeah...I would.

Rat

Not sure musketman but it would make sense to me. Not really a bess man my self but I have to say that one sorta caught my eye.

P.S. If anyone wants to buy me that bess I won't turn it down :)
Mkui Medal
Guerre Abenakis

That powder charge, equivalent to about 125gr. of 2F(roughly 4 1/2 drams), should produce about 1,250 at most for velocity - from a flintlock. It may produce only 1,200fps.

The marking "up side down" is correct for NY weapons. I'm planning a "Committee of Safety" musket from various parts.

I've noticed that on the 1810 , Canton, Mass. contract musket (that I now own) the initials ,carved in the buttstock, are upside down. Must be the way they were racked.

Back